Alternator clutch pulley death... so I've just done my first cambelt whilst I'm at it

Swalsey

Evening,

I am the latest victim of the alternator clutch pulley giving up, only it seems to have wrecked my alternator too as nobody can remove the shaft and it sounds very rough. I decided to replace the cam-belt, water pump and auxillary belt whilst I was going to do the repair, and as it was my first time it has taken a while. I'm not incredibly nervous for starting the engine, despite effectively doing the job twice to check everything.

I didn't use the locking pins, just marks on the crank/cam sprockets, and I've turned the engine over twice by hand. The tensioner has the indicator just at the end of the window as I struggled to hold it in the middle whilst tightening the main nut to hold it onto the engine. The cam-sprocket bolts and engine mounts are torqued to the correct spec.

Can anything go wrong??

Should I fire her up?

Aye I've got and tried the tool, as have my local garage. We even used a breaker bar and an impact gun, it wont budge! It looks to have got very hot. We tried both ways too, just incase we had the wrong idea of the thread direction!

Back