Alternator pulley

Hi there - maybe a silly question but I have a 1.4 16v petrol a2 fitted with the aua engine and air conditioning. I have a noise issue at idle which is coming in my opinion from the alternator area. I have changed the cambelt and water pump in the last 10000 miles.

Does this alternator have a freewheel pulley as per the diesel engines or is it a fixed alternator pulley.

Noise is possibly the alternator tensioner which I have - how difficult is it to fit tensioner.

Regards david

I suspect all A2s have the 'freewheel' type alternator pulley and they can be identified by the plastic cover over the end of the pulley - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?11167-Help-wanted&p=85199#post85199.

With the alternator belt removed you can feel the ratchet mechanism working as it drives when rotated one way and freewheels the other.

The alternator tensioner would have been removed to do the cambelt and its the same again - winding back the tensioner arm against the spring, locking it off with an appropriate roll pin or drill bit then unbolting it. The new one should come ready locked off so its a bolt on job, refit the belt, ease the tension on the arm and remove the pin then check the belt is correctly seated in all the pulleys. On the diesel, finding a spanner or socket with the right offset is the hardest bit

Cheers Spike

Thanks for that spike - mine definitely looks different to the diesel one (no outer bearing / cap as far as I can tell) - can,t seem to find one for the petrol on eBay hence the question.

Was under the impression that the alternator tensioner was a pig of a job to change.

Regards david

While I'm in there...looking at the alternator pulley (1.4 AUA) it looks fixed and not a freewheel. It's certainly not moving unless its seized :D
Can anyone else corroborate it they're normally fixed on 1.4 petrol engine?

Certainly looks fixed now I've compared pictures of the freewheel type
uploadfromtaptalk1404657404802.jpg

Back