Am I missing a drain cup?

ajsellors

A2OC Donor
Hi,

I've noticed something odd on my 2004 FSI. It looks like there is a drain cup for the bonnet outlet missing on the right of the engine bay.

The engine bay of my 2001 1.4 petrol looks like this:

DSC03357c.jpg

I have circled the right hand drain cup.

However, on my 2004 FSI nothing's there:

DSC05319.jpg

Was the drain not present on the 2004 or am I just missing it completly?

I would suspect that it is missing as the bonnet has two outlets:

DSC05320.jpg

Could someone confirm for me and if I am missing the parts I will post a wanted add?

regards

Andrew

As above posts for what is missing. The missing "rubber nozzle" from the right side looking at the photo gets fitted so the slot is horizontal in comparison to the one already fitted which is vertical. One thing I did notice from the photo is your antifreeze looks blue and not pink / red as G12 and its derivatives are. I would check this as the wrong antifreeze can cause all sorts of issues with corrosion, sludge and seal issues.
Until you can get a second drain collector I would swap the nozzle to the other side and put a bung in the opening where there is no collector, at least that way the rain is not pouring directly onto the gear selector and into the gearbox which will cause a world of pain.

As above posts for what is missing. The missing "rubber nozzle" from the right side looking at the photo gets fitted so the slot is horizontal in comparison to the one already fitted which is vertical. One thing I did notice from the photo is your antifreeze looks blue and not pink / red as G12 and its derivatives are. I would check this as the wrong antifreeze can cause all sorts of issues with corrosion, sludge and seal issues.
Until you can get a second drain collector I would swap the nozzle to the other side and put a bung in the opening where there is no collector, at least that way the rain is not pouring directly onto the gear selector and into the gearbox which will cause a world of pain.

Thanks, the wrong coolant has already been spotted and that's on the list of things to do straight away once I have got the engine running. I've got a plastic sheet over the top of the engine to prevent any water getting in, I had uncovered on the right to take the photo. That will protect the gearbox until I have sorted the drains out. The car's been stored under cover for 5 years but is outside now so hopefully the gearbox is OK. I will change the gearbox oil before putting the car back on the road just be make sure.

regards

Andrew

Back