Am I missing something.....

S2Dicky

Just seen this A2 for sale

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/301783139743

They want £2250 for it, it's a 2002 TDI with 60k

But it's missing seats, door panels, radio and you will need to turn up with a set of alloys at it currently has four completely different ones.

I am guessing it's also on the register stolen/recovered or cat d

Also worrying that someone would steal these cars for parts.......

Strange how leather seats, sat-nav and sports alloys were removed from a low mileage tdi... unless they were stolen or there was / is something badly wrong with it of course.
Needing to turn up with a full set of seats, four wheels and tyres before even being able to drive it away is a large ask. Not to mention the missing stereo, sat-nav, door cards and the scuffs on the paint.
Price seems optimistic given the dodgy history this car may have. The cost of getting this back up to even standard SE spec is going to be hundreds more. Since the engine is reliable why not just buy a higher-mileage tdi you can actually drive away?
Perhaps for £500 less it might be a tempter for someone but looks really iffy to me.

It's a breakers that bought a perfectly good low mileage TDI stripped theparts for cash and are nnow looking to offload the remainder without even making it a complete car with other parts. It's been for sale for a year. Looks like their plan backfired ha ha

The only plausible explanation I can think of is the car was laid up somewhere not-that-secure, no insurance, then the parts were stolen off it and now the car is up for sale as a "disposal" with an optimistic price. Its definitely not worth £2250, I'd say more like £1000-1500 as is (assuming no further damage, missing parts, bodyshell and paintwork okay).

What do scrappies tend to give for an MoT failure or crashed A2, given their body is aluminium not steel?

It's a breakers that bought a perfectly good low mileage TDI stripped theparts for cash and are nnow looking to offload the remainder without even making it a complete car with other parts. It's been for sale for a year. Looks like their plan backfired ha ha

Why haven't they sold the engine then? All the reputable breakers I know wouldn't keep a car that long, they'd remove the saleable parts, store them in racking, then squish the bodyshell. I wonder if it has been depolluted (which will involve things like drilling the fuel tank, setting all the airbags off, drilling and draining the shocks, brake fluid etc) and registered as destroyed with the DVLA - if so there is no legal way of reregistering that shell.

Why haven't they sold the engine then? All the reputable breakers I know wouldn't keep a car that long, they'd remove the saleable parts, store them in racking, then squish the bodyshell. I wonder if it has been depolluted (which will involve things like drilling the fuel tank, setting all the airbags off, drilling and draining the shocks, brake fluid etc) and registered as destroyed with the DVLA - if so there is no legal way of reregistering that shell.

Money! If they sell this for close to £2k after having already stripped the high value items off the car then they would make more money overall than removing the engine and gearbox separately. It's all quite ruthless. They admitted to removing the items themselves in an earlier advert.

Not having an interior or matching wheels wouldn't put me off the car but then the price would have to reflect that and currently it doesn't.

The only plausible explanation I can think of is the car was laid up somewhere not-that-secure, no insurance, then the parts were stolen off it and now the car is up for sale as a "disposal" with an optimistic price. Its definitely not worth £2250, I'd say more like £1000-1500 as is (assuming no further damage, missing parts, bodyshell and paintwork okay).

What do scrappies tend to give for an MoT failure or crashed A2, given their body is aluminium not steel?

I agree about the price. On top of that you will need to do a full check and an MOT, before driving off.
The only way to collect this car is on a flatbed.

I think its the infamous cambs breaker selling this...

Its been for sale for a long time! Overpriced for sure

Last edited:
Please don't get me started about this seller again.

If you are bored, phone him up and make a genuine enquiry about this or anything else that he has of interest to you.

You don't have to ask awkward questions or anything, whatever you say you will find a surprising response along the lines of "don't try and tell me anything about these cars I know everything" If you disagree with anything he says then watch out, he takes no prisoners.

An attitude that constantly amazes me, with prices beyond belief. E.G. nearly £200 for a used and kerbed sport alloy, yes just ONE and you don't get anything else!

Steve B

Last edited:
Back