AMF turbo gasket

steveb

A2OC Donor
United-Kingdom
I'm changing the turbo on my AMF TDI (after 312,000 miles it weaping some oil through the EGR) having searched 7zap i can't seem to find the gasket between the manifold and turbo, Does it have one ? If it does anyone know the part number ?

Thanks

Steve

There's no turbo to manifold gasket on the AMF. It's the same on the ANY.

When you re-assemble, use item 12 from here:

otherwise you'll have a devil of a job removing the nuts next time! Maybe even this time if the job has been done before without!

RAB

Last edited by a moderator:
An old thread but interested in the symptoms described originally. The oil weeping out the egr vent hole or just weeping out the egr inlet pipe?
So does this mean oil is getting out of the journal bearing\shaft area and coming into the exhaust. Then when egr opens its coming up into the air intake?

Or going into the compressor wheel side and flowing through the intercooler into the intake and coming out of the weak spot of the egr. I understand oil from the egr vent hole shows a broken diaphragm in the egr?

Did you have some blue smoke all the time out the back?

I’ve had all of these symptoms on my AMF. Turbos run too hot and fast for conventional sealing. They have an oil flinger that throws oil away from the leak points but they are not sealed. Consequently even new turbos leak oil into the intercooler EGR etc.
An EGR leaking oil from the vent hole is due for replacement. If fitted correctly there should be no leakage from joints.
I have only ever had smoke on cold start.

Edit not experienced this but excessive amounts of oil leaking from the turbo could be due to it flooding due to oil return issues.

Great info Phil! Oil flinger, whatever next, is this the 'bearing' plate that cover 75% of the side wall of the casing where the charge wheel is. I find turbos quite interesting.

TIme for the EGR work to start then.

It is sometime since I looked at the insides of a turbo but from memory it is a plate that keeps oil flowing out of the bearing housing away from the hole in the casing to the compressor housing. I think there is a metal clip on the shaft that helps keep oil that passes the plate out of the compressor housing.
I hope I’m right, years since I worked on a turbo but could be there again soon.

@CrispyEdd taken a look at my EGR. If the valve is dripping oil from the vent he diaphragm will most likely be fine and the valve will work. However the central rod has worn and is allowing oil to be forced out into the space under the diaphram. It drips out through the vent hole. Time for a new EGR.

@CrispyEdd taken a look at my EGR. If the valve is dripping oil from the vent he diaphragm will most likely be fine and the valve will work. However the central rod has worn and is allowing oil to be forced out into the space under the diaphram. It drips out through the vent hole. Time for a new EGR.
Awesome cheers, maybe why there some schmoke out back then too

If it is cold smoking I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’ve had this problem, fixed it and it is back again. Ill fix it again but I have other problems to sort. Interesting to see if it goes away with my new injector seals.

Back