An unplanned trip in a TDI 75

ca2n

A2OC Donor
I have a 650-mile return trip to make in the next two days. Anything I should look out for before I set off? It's either the A2 or I'm going to have to hire something. Appreciate your input! Cheers.

Take the A2, with not a second's hesitation. Check tyre pressures and fluid levels before you start it up, then simply fuel it and drive. It'll sit there at 60-65mph all day doing at least that many MPGs :)

Reactions: RZX
As long as you belong to AA (other companies are available) do the usual weekly checks oil, water, tyres etc, then go for it and enjoy.
Hire cars are boring and the company might rip you off for the slightest scratch you may get.
Good luck

I wouldn't hesitate at all :)

Around this time last year I told my 200k+ TDi from the Midlands to Edinburgh and back during the beast from the east with no problems at all :)

Tyre pressures, fluids and the advice to throw in some fuel additive is a good call.

All above and more. The A2 is a very comfortable cruiser at 60-70mph and should return good mpg. We regularly use ours to visit/pick up our daughter from Plymouth University. Roughly a 300 mile round trip.
Just do usual checks and take water, oil just in case. And enjoy. :)

It is a pleasant car to take on long journeys, just take the usual precautions as mentioned. Check battery is good and connections tight ,alternator belt in good condition, all levels i.e. oil, coolant, brake fluid, screen wash and power steering up to full marks. Bulbs working etc. if you have cruise use it or if you don't now you will realise just how good it is. 60-65 mph with good music and company the journey will soon pass. As Jellybean suggests put some fuel system cleaner in the tank. Recovery service is optional but very good piece of mind. You will be surprised just how many admiring looks the car will get. Always makes me smile. This time of year a nice long trip will really help the car.

I routinely do Dundee to Plymouth return over a weekend twice in a fortnight (545 miles each way, 1090mi. return distance) taking my daughter to her grandmother for summer break and back - approximately 9 hours door to door each way including stops, as well as week long trips at Christmas, Easter & autumn half term. Have done it in the A6 with the family, but more recently use the A2 as the fuel cost is halved for each return trip. Drives like a much bigger car, and takes it completely in stride.

620 miles clocked, didn't miss a beat. :D

This stalk does wonderful things!

Glad the trip went well. The cruise is a necessity not just on long trips. Much more enjoyable than a budget rental. Best part is when you get out after the trip you feel like you have only driven around the corner as they are so comfortable. Longer 5th or even 6th if doing lots of long trips would be beneficial to noise levels and perhaps improved economy.

Back