Android Auto to replace RNS-E

Thinking of changing my current RNS-E for an Android auto compatible head unit. Has anyone got any recommendations that will fit easily & work with Bose?

Would have thought the sticking point on this is getting something that will work properly with Bose. You would have to research exactly the input requirements of Bose.

What are the advantages, that justify the cost involved? I have Consert II, plus Bluetooth, and an Android phone. Can't think of anything I need, that I don't have.
Mac.

More the convenience of it really. I use Android Auto a lot in my other car & wouldn't mind the facility in the A2. The RNS-E just seems a little antiquated these days.

Evening,

As much as I admire the OEM look of the RNS-E PU and the functionality of its custom firmware I can fully appreciate that it’ll never be an Android type head unit, that said you can always consider a touch screen for it connected to a CarPC set up. Conduct an internet search for RNSE CarPC and you’ll be amazed at what can be done. Some people have managed to install VCDS within the CarPC so have immediate scan capability on their touch screen RNS-E. It’s not a cheap venture and no off the shell kit is available just yet but it’ll come.

What ever aftermarket solution you decide upon, you certainly wouldn’t need to be selling your Bose system as it’s proven to work in a non-OEM head unit environment, as Ian @Kleynie states above. Keep it in the vehicle as it works just fine as you probably already know.

The main thing to understand is an aftermarket head unit speaker outputs to an amplifier are transmitted via RCA leads as such there is need to adapt the RCA leads to wires which would actually be 8 wires:

Generic RCA lead outputs from aftermarket head unit
1. Front right signal
2. Signal ground

3. Front left signal
4. Signal ground

5. Rear right signal
6. Signal ground

7. Rear left signal
8. Signal ground

The OEM head units transmit these very same signals over only 5 outputs

Head unit 20 Pin Connector
1 - rear left signal
2 - rear right signal

3 - Common signal ground
4 - front left signal
5 - front right signal

6 - Switched Live out (amplifier)

This is replicated down at the Bose amplifier:

Bose 25 Pin Connector
6 - Common signal ground (from 20 pin connector-pin 3)
7 - Rear right signal (from 20 pin connector-pin 2)
8 - Rear left signal (from 20 pin connector-pin 1)
9 - Front right signal (from 20 pin connector-pin 5)
10 - Front left signal (from 20 pin connector-pin 4)
25 - Switched live (from 20 pin connector-pin 6)

As Ian has already done this conversion then I guess he will be able to fully answer the question of: is it as simple as joining the 4 RCA lead Signal grounds to the singular Signal ground at the Bose amplifier. Ian will also be a great source of information regards fitting the aftermarket double DIN cage into the head units aperture.

Hope this helps out.

Kind regards,

Tom

Crikey. Thanks for that Tom. Very much appreciated. Looks like I'll be spending sometime watching YouTube vids. Not as straight forward as I'd hoped. Another question you (or someone) may be able to help with; if I already have hands free telephone (installed by Skipton some time ago for previous owner) on my RNS-E (non PU), Aux enabled in the menu, what else do I need to do to stream music from my phone via bluetooth? This would be good for streaming my music & audiobooks in the meantime.

Hello again,

No problems at all, what’s the use of information if it’s not shared and utilised by the wider community.

You need the Audi Music Interface (AMI) for perfect streaming from your device. It’s a very straight forward retrofit which slowly charges you device at the same time.

To go cable free you’ll need a Tune2Air WMA1000a or WMA3000a. Have a look through either my OEM or 250 threads as this topic is covered. You could also consider the Audi OEM QI wireless charger if your device fits within the handbrake tray and is QI capable. Also covered on the OEM thread.

This thread should be of use for a cable free environment.

Kind regards,

Tom

I just think it's odd to spend quite a bit of money on a hi spec HU, with it's hi tech output stages, mosfets and the like, often 4 channels of it, then use only the tuner output to drive an external, 20 year old, amplifier, and 20 year old speakers.
Just my take on it.
Mac.

As Tom says it IS possible to fit an Android unit to a Bose system, however, you will need to fit earth loop isolators to each output or the Bose amp will pop VERY loudly each time the head unit is turned on or is muted. It took me ages to figure it out but I got there in the end. Let me know if you need any help or further info.

Ian

Just looking into this again. If I keep the RNS-E & look at connecting an AMI unit with Bluetooth module, where does the AMI unit go? It looks pretty sizeable from the ones on various online sites? Is there a favoured location?

Afternoon,

The AMI module although not massive, it is not a small item either but can easily be placed on top of the CCCU or even behind the foam at the base of the dashboard forward of the ashtray. If I get time I'll add a picture later on of where I mean.

Should you wish to place it on top of the CCCU and are obtaining the loom from Bart at VAG Retrofits (don't forget to mention you're part of the A2 OC for discount) then ask for the loom that goes to the module itself to be a little longer.

Its a very simple installation which just needs a quick coding adjustment via VCDS. More than happy to provide you the specific coding for your A2's set up.

Kind regards,

Tom

I recently bought an item (low cost though - around $50 total) via the big bay place and their global shipping program ensured no import duty or VAT. Might be worth a try, but be wary. Having had AMI in my TT and A3, I can recommend them, but they're not a patch on modern third party solutions.

Back