Angel Eyes for A2 completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi_a2rs

Hello everyone,

I have completed my Angel Eyes conversion for my A2. It was a lot of work, mostly due to the reason the glue between the front part and rear part of the head light does not react to heat (made by Valeo in Spain) - making the dismantling a painful process.

The making of the Angel Eyes itself is not that difficult.

You can find a userful guide here http://www.geocities.com/crx_auto/angel_eyes.htm

I will insert the link to the picture of the Angel Eyes if Stuart uploads it to the Forum Pictures listing.

Rune K.

Audi A2RS

Cool. Can't wait for the photo!

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Photo below:

rk9.jpg

Rune K.
Audi A2RS

Flippin nice! Good job you did there me old chum.

So how long from start to finish do you think it took you to do?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Very smart Rune and bang up to date.
Your side light bulb seems to be giving a bluish light. Is that a replacement bulb/LED's?

Cheers
Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Hi all,

The Angel Eyes are made with white LEDs. I guess the camera makes it a little bit more blue than it really is.

Shaf: The side light (is it parking light you mean ?) is also a LED type, which I bought in Japan. It is made by Bosch, and has a lens in front of it. Very bright light. The turn indicator lamp is the 'normal' silver type everyone has (think it is made by Osram). The two other bulbs you see are the xenon bulbs (6000K). In other words, there is no original bulb/lamp left in my headlights...

It took me 3 full days to do the job, but I had to wait some time before I inserted the modified headlights back after modification. The glue is now of a sort that can be heated...

I did not make a user guide, but I can probably write a short one later today.

If I did it again, it would probably be done in a day.

Rune K.
Audi A2RS

Thanks Rune

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Hi again,

As requested, here is a description of the work I did:

*** Userguide for Angel Eyes Installation for Audi A2 ***

1. Read the user guide at the referred website above. Besides this, I recommend that you make the cuts in the plastic rods after you have made them circular (the guy who made the referred guide suggest the oppsite).
2. Prepare all tools, equipment and stuff needed
3. Remove bonnet, and place it upside down NOT with the engine compartment side down, you will destroy it if you do not do this.
4. Mark the position of the headlights/notice where the screws are. There are two, one at the top one at the side. Remove the headlights using the required Torx tool.
5. Carfully pull the headlight out a few centimeters.
6. Unplug the connector with all the wires (on the back right/left side). Use a screwdriver to release the lock mechanism.
7. Bring the headlights in to your livingroom (or somewhere where you have a lot of light, and where you can make some noise and dust). Put a soft cloth or newspaper under the headlights so you don't make any scratches in the glass (which is really plastic).
8. Remove the rear plate (I'm not sure what you call it) which is used to access the bulbs.
9. Remove the rubber seal around the front glass of the headlight. Is is fastened with some glue and double sided tape.
10. Now for the difficult part: Removal of the headlight glass. This will require a heated blower gun, a knife and a flat screwdriver. What you are about to do now is destructive, and you may be scared to see your headlight becoming deformed. Anyway, what you should do is to heat the black rear plastic housing case where it is overlapping the glass and bend it upwards - this looks nasty when you are doing it, and the plastic may shring or become warped. Start with the short side - the one facing inwards to the centre of the car. The toughest part is the sharp corners. The glue does not react to heat and does not become "cheesy". Therefore, you must melt and bend the overlapping part all around the glass.

I unfortunatly did not take any pictures while doing this, I was probably scared to death by the sight...but the glass is covered by the black rear plastic housing both on the upper, rear and lower side.

You should go from this:

<- back

||===== black overlapping plastic from housing
||***** glue
||*------front glass----.
||======
|

to this:
=
=
=
||= black overlapping plastic from housing - pushed up and away from the glass
||***** glue
||*------front glass----.
||======
|

Now, you have to start working on the glue, removing it with a flat screw driver. It takes some time to remove it, because you must remove the glue on all sides of the glass. You may use a small one, and try to bend the plastic housing down. This was the difficult part that took some hours of work. My first headlight took one day, while the dismantling of the second one went much faster - the technique is now in my fingertips :)

When you feel the glue is removed, and the front glass becomes loose, you should try to remove it by lifting it from the rear housing from the short side facing the centre of the car, carfully lifting it about a centimeter from the housing. Once you have done this, you should lift it somewhat upwards, and then you can pull out the sharp corner side. If you do not do this, I think yoy will break the thin glass on the sharp sides facing to the corner of the car.

Once you have removed the front glass, you should be very careful about NOT touching the reflector or the inside of the glass. If you do, DO NOT use any solvent at all to remove the stains. Use a very soft cloth, not paper. If you wipe the reflector with a wet paper, you are in trouble, because it will make it worse - the silver coating will very easily come off the reflector.

11. OK, now, you have the rear black plastic housing and the front glass (and the rear plate) in front of you. You should now remove the bulbs, headlight range adjusment motor (just turn it counter-clockwise 1/10th round) and carefully pull it out while watching the green ball which is connected to the reflector piece.

Then, unscrew the two white headlight angle/spread adjustment screws completely so that the reflector piece is loose. The reflector will now be separated from the rear black plastic housing. Don't touch the front!

Now, remve the three screws for the headlight angle/spread adjustment located behind the main driving light reflector.

Then, remove the gray plastic sourrounding the reflectors. There are no screws for this, once you see the reflector, you see how to dismantle these two parts.

12. Prepare the angel eyes according to http://www.geocities.com/crx_auto/angel_eyes.htm
(except for the making of the cuts in the acrylic rods, which I recommend you do after they are made circular).
Find some object that has the right diameters; 6.8-6.9cm for the smallest, 10.6cm for the largest. I used a small thermos and a glass jar. Note that you do not need to have a full circle, since the ends of the angel eyes will be inserted behind the reflectors for the high beam and main beam of the headlight. I used a normal stove/owen at 150 degrees Celsius to make the acrylic rods soft. Mine were solid, with a hexagonal shape just like in the referred user guide. It is possible to reheat the rods if you need to adjust the diameter or the way they are folded around the round object you are using as a template.

13. Once you have made the angel eye rings, you must drill holes in the gray plastic piece that you removed from the reflectors. Make sure that the diameter of these holes are correct. I used a soldier iron to pinpoint the place where I was to use the drill, and melted a small center hole before the actual drilling took place (I had a 8mm drill). Be careful. If you make any scratches on the grey plastic piece, it will be visible when you put everything together again.

14. Without having inserterd the rings, put the reflector piece and gray plastic piece together. On the main/low beam reflector (the biggest one) rear side, mark the holes where the rings should be. Make the holes a little bit bigger than 8mm on the reflector piece. 10mm would be fine.

15. Once you have done all the drilling and adaptation of the rings, you can put the different parts back together again. Glue the rings to the reflector piece with a glue gun (?). Mount the LEDs inside the rods, and glue these to the rods as well (or use alu tape). I recommend that you do not have the resistors directly soldiered to the LEDs.

16. Electrical wiring. Use the brown lead for ground (negative) and via the suitable resistor for each LED, connect to the postive lead for the parking light. I think it was purple/yellow - you will see it.
Check the LED functionality before you put all the parts back together again.

17. Put the gray plastic piece, reflector piece, headlight angle/spread adjustment bracket back in place.

18. When you are back to where you were in step 10, it is time to glue the front glass to the rear black plastic housing. I got a local auto glass company to do this, but I am sure you can do it yourself if you get the right glue (again: the right glue is the one that gets cheesy when it is heated).

19. After gluing the front/back together again, you can install the headlights in your car again. Make sure the rubber seal is correctly aligned around all sides of the headligt.

20. When everything is working correctly, you should go to a local garage and get the headlights adjusted correctly again. You must do this, or else the lights will not be aligned correct and you are a danger to your fellow A2 owners.

21. Enjoy...

Rune K.

Audi A2RS

Very Nice final result and a very helpful fitting Guide.

Give yourself a pat on the back

[24]Great job.

Could you please post a new foto of your a2 - with angel eyes?? Whole car not only the head light. I want to see how it looks now.Thanks

Best regards.....
(sorry for language :D)

Hi,

I will wash it later today, and send some pictures tomorrow. The LEDs are quite white, so the rings are best viewable in early evening (and of course when it gets dark).

Rune K.
Audi A2RS

Hi,

So i bought new headlights - like these from ebay.de, and I'm starting the angel eyes project with your guide...

My first conclusion is - why you had to unglue (is it right??) the rubber around the "glass" and the "glass". You can get access to this gray thing inside without doing it! Yo just have to take off some clips (??) around it. Here is what I mean. Look for 1c thing.

http://republika.pl/sqvarec/headlights/headlight.jpg
(hey Boss turn on the HTML :D please)

I'll post some photos of my headlights at 22:00 :D
I'll create a new topic with my tips and photos :D.

("scheisse" my english is not as good as it should :D)

Poland in EU in few hours :D hooray :D

Hello,

There is only one clip on the bottom of the light.

Let me know how your work is progressing. If you have the headlight I have, you are going to get a lot of work....

The "gray thing" can't be taken out from the headlight without dismantling everything.

Rune K.
Audi A2RS

Hello again,

New pictures of the angel eyes are sent to Stuart. Maybe he will put some of them here in this thread.

Rune K.
Audi A2RS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back