Annoying Problem!!!

shaper

As my first post has stated i have just bought the oth, a 2003 1.4 tdi
bought privately,the previous owner stated "the front brake pads needed changing" and the orange warning light was flashing,decided to wait until the end of the week to get this done..2 days after purchase the red warning light for low brake fluid came on as well..

I have had the front pads changed the lead for the low pad sensor was damaged,but has since been repaired,the orange light no longer comes on
but the red warning light remains on!..i have checked the brake fluid reservoir
and the level is were it should be..i have done a search through previous post
but to no avail..would a vagcom scan reveal the problem??? many thanks:)

Hi , Yes a scan should help, as your up north It's probably better for Mike (Skipton) to scan it for you, otherwise I'd have been happy to help. ;)

Cheers

Sarge

Ok i have decided to bite the bullet and purchase a ross tech HEX+CAN USB interface ,and i have added myself to the VAG-COM Members list should anyone need this service

I have scanned the car and i have recieved the following error.

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No: 8Z0 907 379 D
Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0101
Coding: 0007303
Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200

1 Fault Found:
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
003 - Mechanical Failure - Intermittent

Would this fault be related to the red warning light?
this is the only light that comes on, no abs warning light appears
and where would i locate the sensor?

Thanks Shaperd

Hi Shaperd
If you don't already know, Ross Tech have an excellent fault code database which is a great help in understanding problems - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00285
Q. Is the warning lamp still on after clearing the fault code. If the fault is active I would still expect the light to be out but reappear when the car is doing about 10 mph.

Cheers Spike

Sorry i should have mentioned i found the possible solutions from ross-tech`s code data base..

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45): Signal Outside Specifications
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45): Electrical Fault in Circuit
Possible Causes

* Open Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)
* ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)
* Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45): Mechanical Malfunction
Possible Causes

* Excessive Air Gap between ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45) and Rotor
* Short Circuit in Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)
* ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45) faulty

Possible Solutions

* Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45) Installation
* Check Wiring from/to ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)
* Check ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Right (G45)

When the front pads were changed the front driver side had no wires running to the brake disc or pads, should there have been?..

The red warning light which my manual refers to checking the break fluid only comes on when the car is in motion and stays on, ie as soon as i take off
does the car also have a ABS warning light and shouldn't this light up as well?

I have not done a scan with the engine running,would it be possible to clear the red light whilst the engine is running

Thanks Shaperd

Just as a wee after thought on your ABS probs. Your wheel bearing has a toothed ring (looks like a plastic washer about 3'' in diameter and tucks in behind your wheel bearing) this acts as a signal generator for your ABS sensor, if its damaged your ABS will operate out of spec.Happened to me shortly before my wheel bearing started to fail.It actually started to break up.Found a piece lying above the bottom ball joint where it had lodged itself.Threw up the same code "ABS out of spec".Just another possibility worth considering.Wheel bearing wasn't noticible either.Cheers Davy

Hi there sorry for the delay in getting back to you.The no ABS light would indicate an end to your probs in that department,as for the constant red light, that works via the float switch in the brake fluid reservoir and possibly the brake wear sensor on the pads.My first port of call would be the float switch.take it out and make sure the float does actually float and hasn't sunk.You can put a multimeter across the terminals as a continuity tester and move the float up and down it should go open circuit then short as the float makes a connection.Its a starting point if nothing else.
Cheers Davy

That`s a good shout davy!, i have been hovering around the brake fluid resovoir, checking the cable connection and fluid level,never thought to check the actual float!

Back