Another new A2OC member πŸ‘‹

AdamBates

Hi everyone 🀠

Adam, in south Dublin - originally from southwest England, and been in Sweden for the last 4 years

Picked up a 2004 1.4tdi on the weekend - it's done ###k (*need to double check this) so definitely run in and pretty rough all around! Some investment over the last few years (brakes, suspension, etc) and has valid NCT(MOT) for for the next 8 months so figured it would do for a summer run around - but unsurprisingly it's got a list of issues. Suspect I'll be trawling the forum every evening for months πŸ˜…

Anyway, looks like there's a few new members here so some equally deranged chancers to compare notes with!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard :) Some cars have been brought back right from the brink thanks to info on this site. Ask away with any questions you get, we love to help. Oh - and photos are mandatory ;)

Welcome! Do you have a to-do list?

Safety-critical item that should be on it at the top: Are your front wishbones original? I would change them on an Irish car out of precaution as they will - unless it’s been garaged in a low humidity environment most of its life - have rusted internally and be seriously weakened, even if they seem ok from the outside.

Search using Google for more info (β€œsite: A2OC.net+check your wishbones people”)

Hi Adam welcome!
I am pretty new here and what I can say is when you take a deep dive into the forums and resources here you won’t regret.
Good luck and happy driving.

As requested, here's the little beastie: - no big dings but there plenty of scrapes and cracks here and there. Definitely not the finest example running around πŸ˜… got character though

Has indeed done 350k km - so definitely run in, still shy of my Swedish Volvo which tipped 430k before I sold it.

Mentioned the list of bits to do: main issue to start is an air leak into the fuel-line: after a long/got run air's getting in and restarting difficult. It's not leaking fuel out - at least not in any quantity, and certainly with the speed at which the issue occurs I'd imagine an obvious drip of this was the case. Previous owner fitter a primer-bulb as a get around - which does the job- but can't help but feel there's a frustratingly simple problem in there if can just find it - slightly loose hose or just a clogged fuel filter. I'm wondering if there's a blocked breather somewhere that's causing a slight back-pressure so that when it cools fuels moving back up the hose to the tank. Seen a few threads with similar issues so have a few starting points .

But apart from that it seems to be running well - bit sticky getting into 3rd, but doesn't jump out or judder so not too concerned at this stage - especially given the milage - otherwise there's a couple of sticky switches and broken interior fittings (annoying more than a problem) - sounds like a tractor, and pulls like one too 😁

Attachments

• 20230621_125703.jpg
    20230621_125703.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20230621_125703.jpg
    20230621_125703.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
Back