Another Water Pump after 8 months :-((

Birdfish

Hi all,

Just got another Water pump fitted and it was only 8 months and 4000 miles since the last one was fitted, I bought the kit with belts from Euro car parts initially for around £120.

Driving along and a squeak started followed by a knock, then it got worse and stopped the car, it sounded like very randomly noisy camshafts together with a hammer hitting the top of the engine.

Put it into a local garage and they said the Water pump was away again, after me being very angry for a while the mechanic said the bearing had collapsed on the recently fitted pump, they also said it was a faulty Water pump that had initially been supplied by their reckoning with no other indication of anything causing the pump to go,, Just my luck!

Euro car parts replaced the pump free of charge but wouldn't replace the full kit or compensate me for repair caused buy their faulty component much to my annoyance, the major issue here being had the belt slipped it was bye bye engine and a very expensive repair.

The garage charged me a very reasonable £120 to replace the pump thankfully, hate to say it but, I won't be buying any items like that again from Euro Car Parts.

Thought I'd let you know about this.

Cheers

Doug

glad that you caught it early.

A friend of mine had a similar issue with his mk5 golf GT tdi, he bought a starter motor from euro car parts (ECP) and that failed after 3 months or so.

He took the starter motor back to euro's and they offered a replacement but wouldn't compensate for the garage labour (claims form was filled in), he then went back to his local garage and they had provided him with a report that stated its a manufacture fault but still euro's did not cough up.

final point of call

he submitted to euros head office the following invoice of part, garage invoice including the assessment report and the completed claims form..... he was finally refunded

hope this helps

Cammy

It's one of the drawbacks of supplying your own parts for a garage to fit. They have no responsibility for the quality of the parts or a duty to replace them if they fail within the warranty period so al lot depends on goodwill and your relationship with the garage.
Best to discuss this with the garage and understand the warranty issues before sourcing the bits yourself. Just think of the implications of the cambelt failing and all you can claim for is the price of the belt.

Cheers Spike

Agree :). from my understanding many people prefer to supply their own parts for many of the following reasons;

1. Garages tend to put a high mark up on parts that they order for customers cars. With the mark up on parts and taking account of labour charges it becomes expensive. Sadly this leads to many people unable to keep their pride and joy on the road.

2. A customer may want to supply his own parts, as he has a preference of what brand or type of part he wants installed to his car. Depending on what type of part is required, some garages may not have the time sourcing the parts and may ask the customer to bring his own parts.

3. The customer wants to source good quality parts at discounted rates so that he is able to save a few £££

There is always going to be pro's and con's which ever way you go but i personally would encourage people to do as much maintenance and repair work as you can.

Cammy :)

Re; my water pump change.

The original garage who replaced the water pump would have done the job happily but, were 15miles from my house so I went to the local garage as they were across the street, I would have used them initially but, they were choc-a-block at the time and I needed it done immediately, I was taking a risk on even driving the car 200 yards.

Interesting that Euro paid out, think I will speak to my garage and see what can be done claiming back from Euro car parts, thanks for that info.

Cheers Cammy!

Doug

Reason I asked is that I purchased an Fsi in February
That had a waterpump failure at 113k on 08/13
Then failed again at 129k on 02/16.
Car has good service history with 4 cambelt changes
It also had a history of water pump leaks at 14k and 80k.
Would nice to know reasons for these problems

Reason I asked is that I purchased an Fsi in February
That had a waterpump failure at 113k on 08/13
Then failed again at 129k on 02/16.
Car has good service history with 4 cambelt changes
It also had a history of water pump leaks at 14k and 80k.
Would nice to know reasons for these problems

Hi Terry,

the mechanic said it could be that the belt was too tightly fitted when all components were replaced but, in my case it was the actual pump that failed unfortunately.

I would ask Audi directly about that, if mine goes again I'll do that.

Cheers

Doug

Back