Any owners in Newcastle upon Tyne?

StevieM

Hello, just joined the Forum.
I`m looking at what will hopefully be my first A2 tomorrow. I`m hoping not to make any costly mistakes but on the whole these do seem to be very reliable. The model is a 1.6 Black with a fsh. The year is 2004 and its up for sale at £2999 at a dealer. Black wouldn`t be my first choice but nice A2`s are a bit thin on the ground in Geordieland.
I love the looks and as I don`t do any more than 3-5 K mile pa it should suit me fine.
The only thing that concerns me is the comments about the harsh / hard ride. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to improve the ride by changing the dampers for example?
Any buying advice would be very much appreciated as I`m not much of a mechanic.
Thanks, Steve.

Check out the links in the "How to" Index thread, there are a few that give solid buying advice.

As for the harsh ride, it is all subjective, some call it harsh, others call it firm, I call it perfect for a light car.

I have been modifying cars for over 40 years and one of the first things I would normally do would be to firm up the suspension, to improve the handlng / cornering.

The A2 is definitely not soft or wallowy, it is firm and precise.

Hit a speed bump at too fast a speed or hit a pot hole and the car will certainly let you know, but so would most cars.

So give it a good long test drive over differing terrain and use your own experience to decide if it is harsh, just firm, or perfect!

Steve B

Thanks for the quick response/ advice.
I'm running a firm ride at the moment so I'll see how it goes. I would imagine a car of this age would been needing new dampers soon, if it hasn't already got them.
Your white one us the best I've seen do far!

I think a lot of the hard ride that people refer to is down to worn dampers these days. Most A2's are nearing 100k and so will be in need of new dampers. There are cost effective options out there so doesn't have to cost the earth, £350 is a obtainable price plus labour.

Newcastle yes, FSI Knowledge no, as for ride quality, the drop to 15" wheels can make an improvement but dampens the appearance a little imo

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?26942-my-A2-12-months-in

can't comment on 16" never tried but i also run on koni fsd's and i have mentioned this before find a nice road (a696) the a2 rides as good as any other.

£2999 your in tdi region and personally i would consider this, i too do very little mileage on a week to week basis but always find the time to blow the cobwebs out on a nice run so i wouldn't let the annual mileage deter you from considering the tdi.

happy to let you experience the ride quality, currently on the winter 15" so probably be able to tell a difference if your test drive one is on 17" and stock suspension.

Very kind of you to reply. Where are you located?
Newcastle yes, FSI Knowledge no, as for ride quality, the drop to 15" wheels can make an improvement but dampens the appearance a little imo

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?26942-my-A2-12-months-in

can't comment on 16" never tried but i also run on koni fsd's and i have mentioned this before find a nice road (a696) the a2 rides as good as any other.

£2999 your in tdi region and personally i would consider this, i too do very little mileage on a week to week basis but always find the time to blow the cobwebs out on a nice run so i wouldn't let the annual mileage deter you from considering the tdi.

happy to let you experience the ride quality, currently on the winter 15" so probably be able to tell a difference if your test drive one is on 17" and stock suspension.

Hi steve- welcome to the club. Is the car the one advertised in a garage called "Headway". If it is it's advertised as 5 seats however, there is a lack of rear-seat photos and I can only see 2 rear headrests in the last rear-end photos - probably making it a 4 seater. If seating is not an issue - no probs.
Nice looking car, any history with it.
Dicko from seaham

Hi steve- welcome to the club. Is the car the one advertised in a garage called "Headway". If it is it's advertised as 5 seats however, there is a lack of rear-seat photos and I can only see 2 rear headrests in the last rear-end photos - probably making it a 4 seater. If seating is not an issue - no probs.
Nice looking car, any history with it.
Dicko from seaham

We leave the centre headrest off in our 5 seater A2s. For rear view visibility.
We very rarely have 5 adults in the car. And a fifth passenger that is a child doesn't need the headrest.

Steve B

Last edited:
I personally would stick to a tdi. I have had two petrol a2's and the diesel feels much better and gets more mpg.
I haven't tried a fsi but there appears to be more issues with them on the forum, but are supposed to be good to drive. Depends if you can tinker yourself or you have to get someone to do the work, which is me! Like vespa, I am nearby in North Durham of you need any help

popping over to steviem in morning so he can feel the firmness/softness of the a2 and point out issues that are common (misted lights/door straps ect) and to make himself familiar with the a2, as for the fsi i have no knowledge or experience bar what can be read on the forum but i can see from the advert the car comes with warranty and certainly by looking seems a well kept example.

Hiya, it was but he didn't want to do a part ex with my car :(
After Vespa166 kindly allowing me to drive his 1.4d that's the model I'd choose.

I seem to have a problem replying to individual messages?
Black one was nice, couldn't do a swap.
The grey one have a few issues & the dealer was dubious to say the least. Only had the green slip all tippexed out, no log book and wasn't able to open the bonnet for inspection.
Looking at a blue one tomorrow.

Black one was nice, couldn't do a swap.
The grey one have a few issues & the dealer was dubious to say the least. Only had the green slip all tippexed out, no log book and wasn't able to open the bonnet for inspection.
Looking at a blue one tomorrow.

Hi Steve, nice meeting you today, the tdi is a great engine and looks like you might have been converted to the little oil burner, like i explained high specification a2's are hard to come by but find a good base model all the little extras can be fitted in time, the forum is a valuable tool and helpful members travel countrywide to assist with these jobs.

The blue one looks a good example, hoping you can get sorted. good luck.

Press 'reply with quote' under that post to reply to an individual message . Alternatively reply to many people in one message by clicking the speech bubble icon at the bottom right of a post then click reply with quote on the most recent one you're replying to in the thread.

You then insert your text accordingly.

Hope that makes sense and helps you

Back