Any thoughts on sound proofing behind headlining

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
Now I have the headlining out I thought maybe add some insulation. I think 5mm should be possible, such as

Any thoughts? What about condensation?

Looks like one side is adhesive so that begs the question to fix to the roof or fix to the headline biscuit or simply heatgun spot glue in the corners of the sheets to the biscuit.

@Hef what did you use on castle red? That stopped the tin noise when the rain came down and gave a better thud when the doors shut.

I would personally attach to the roof and not the headlining, that would get rid of the tinny rain drop sound. When I do my replacement headlining I will be doing the very same thing.

Andy

Now I have the headlining out I thought maybe add some insulation. I think 5mm should be possible, such as

Any thoughts? What about condensation?

Looks like one side is adhesive so that begs the question to fix to the roof or fix to the headline biscuit or simply heatgun spot glue in the corners of the sheets to the biscuit.
Adding material to the head lining will also add weight, so adhesive will need to be up to the additional load.
Mac.

so just add some butyl mat? should be simple and cheap enough. Only strips should fix things quite nicely. If you really want to go overboard, maybe some 4mm closed cell, too.

. Bret

Thanks guy for your thoughts. I've ordered some 5mm sound proofing. I measured the A2 and it's just over 2sqm but I ordered 3sqm as in some places I can double up or place some on the top of the biscuit.

As mentioned the butyl 'rubber' would be good to dull the impact noise of rain on the aluminium roof, but it needs to be in contact with the roof to add mass. It doesn't need to be across the whole area to be effective, possibly a half to two thirds would work well.
The closed cell foam may have an effect on the rain impact noise if attached to the roof, but would likely need to be applied across the whole area. It's not adding as much mass, rather acting as a (partial) block to sound transmission.

Not tried sound insulation in my A2 as it has open sky, but have some experience of sound insulation installation in other cars, particularly a Saab where I did the floorpan and doors.

Back