Anyone changed their rear coolant pipe 1.6 FSi - tips please.

freakyeke

A2OC Donor
I am going to have a go at doing this myself. I'm handy enough with the spanners and was getting a bit lazy for trying to get a garage to do it for me.

Does anyone have any tips or an order of removal. Do I take the drive shaft off or leave it on. The only thing that hinders access, that I can see, is the inlet manifold bracket.

I've ordered a new coolant pipe from Ebay, including the rubber O seals for £9 delivered. TPS wanted nearly £60 for the same. I'll inspect the quality of the Topran item when it arrives and compare it with the Audi one I take off. If it's rubbish, I'll buy the Audi item from TPS.

I had one replaced on a project car.

It is a 'nightmare job' from what the garage told me! 4 hours with the engine needing to be moved for access, manifold off, and lots of other bits

Id suggest having the water pump and cambelt swapped at the same time as replacing the coolant pipe can cause leaks from the pump.

I'd buy the real deal. Anything that's labour intensive necessitates genuine Audi parts. Only bought Topran stuff once which was a bearing, then read the online reviews. Fitted FAG instead. :rolleyes:

I just replaced my fsi engine. It's not that bad once u get going. Drain the coolant of with the air intake pipe and duct. Then ur EGR and EGR pipe. throttle body and filter are all took of on one piece. Then take engine mount at timing belt of to allow engine to lower a bit. Take the inlet manifold of ( need to lower engine about 4 inch to get it out. Then just take the thermostat housing of. (3bolts) that's it. Wiggle the rear pipe free. Mind get any old rubber gasket out water pump when u get old pipe out. Its relatively straight forward.
All the best.
Craig

Back