Anyone drive a dsg

JavaGreen

Scotland
Has anyone driven or own a dsg box car/van? Any good? Any problems? Would you have another?
cheers
Paul

I had an A4 3.0L V6 with one. It was brilliant until it started doing random changes harshly when stopped. Just outside warranty and 38k.

George

Nice when working but can be quite troublesome to the point of being dangerous, hard to diagnose problems with them and very expensive to repair if not covered by warranty. Personally I would avoid them

I also visit the Skoda Yeti owners’ club from time to time (which is, compared to A2OC, barely worth the cyberspace it occupies) and those with DSG gearboxes seem to love them. Within Yeti world, they don’t seem overly problematic given their prevalence, but they are seemingly proper piggybank-raiders when they go wrong.

The Yeti on our driveway is a 6-speed manual, so I’ve no first-hand experience.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I have had two VW Eos's, one Stage 1 remapped 2.0 Tdi with over 400nm torque, and a 2.0 TFSI with 200bhp, both with DSGs and I did 60k in the Diesel, and 40k in the petrol. Also had a Yeti Outdoor 2.0 Tdi, also Stage 1 remapped, 4 wheel drive through Haldex drive, plus 400nm, also a DSG. Did about 25k in that. DSG problems... Not one! Love DSG gearboxes, never had an issue... Why? Potentially because I religiously followed VAG service schedule and recommendations. Always, without fail, had the DSG gearbox oil and filter changed at 40k intervals, and the Haldex oil also for the Yeti. As ever, regular maintenance and following manufacturers recommendations seems to enable you to have a reliable car, who'd of guessed that would be the case? Actually, I did have one problem once, because of a DSG gearbox... When I was part exchanging the Diesel Eos, the dealer tried to knock my px value down by £300 below lowest book price because the car had a DSG gearbox, and, "no one knows how to fix them" according to that dealer. Needless to say he didn't make a sale that day...

I have it in my Octavia 2.0TDI, 6 speed DSG (DQ250), no problems until now (250.000km), but I would prefer manual.
DSGs with wet clutch (6 and 7 gears) are relatively troublefree, 7 gear DSG with dry clutch have quite a lot of problems and I would not recommend them. They are paired with 1.6TDI, 1.0TSI and 1.5TSI engines. The last one depends of the car. For example 1.5TSI DSG Kodiaq has wet DQ381 DSG.
So never inquire only about DSG (marketing name for family of gearboxes) but exactly about the DSG type transmission that you are interested in.

Last edited:
I have a audi Q3 2.0 tdi Quattro mapped to 230bhp egr deleted with a dsg flappy paddle gearbox with no troubles what so ever 34000 miles,always driven hard

Has anyone driven or own a dsg box car/van? Any good? Any problems? Would you have another?
cheers
Paul
I've got a mk1 tt v6 with a dsg and the gearbox feels nice, it's on 110k and still works perfect but has had the gearbox services every 2 years in its life. The tt is running 305hp and 297nm,

Got a 2020 SEAT Leon Cupra R ST 4Drive with lunatic power and torque and wet clutch DSG- No issue over 42000 hard miles from new but DSG and Haldex service schedule followed religously.

Thank you so much for the replies, information and obviously, dsg ownership advice.

Having spent £3k on my Peugeot (Annie’s fault, did not do the service correctly) I am looking to replace perhaps with a VW caddy dsg😳

as far as im aware NO maintream Audi,s had a DSG gearbox they are Tiptronic or S-Tronic or ( Multitronic worst gearbox ever )
however i belive the MK1 TT did have the DSG option , MK2 TT is S-Tronic like many other Audi,s
Google S-Tronic problems there are loads
VW Seat and Skoda have the DSG gearbox
40,000 mile services are recomended to give a long trouble free life
ive had 3 DSG VW cars inc my recent one and i love them

sadly Most people ignor the 40,000 mile gearbox oil and filter change , so check the service history very closely

Last edited:
I had a Skoda Suberb L&K estate remapped to approx 220bhp with a dsg box, and that worked faultlessly.

Smoother than a hot knife though butter, that said it had been serviced bang on schedule several times. I sold it with approx 126k on the clock.

If you wanted, the dsg can be remapped, I never bothered as I found it super smooth and quick enough without that.

Just check for evidence of servicing and you should be okay.

Back