A2OC Donor
LED mirror indicators

Started modding my mirrors

Attachments

• mirro1.jpg
    mirro1.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Very innovative. You are presenting symptoms of the mod addict Craig.

When you fit roof rails, sill boards and allroad alloys I will know that there is no hope for you ;)

I'm getting my inspiration from DJ190

Attachments

• mirror3.jpg
    mirror3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Nice one Craigyb did you buy those wing mirrors I messaged you about or do the mod on your own?
Looks pretty impressive your car is probably the best lit in the fleet ;)

I took the plunge on my own mirrors, it's a tricky mod to achieve, routing the indicator feed through the wing, door and mirror is a devil of a job.

Last edited:
Although the side repeaters are not lit in my pic, it's because I had just wired the mirror indicators to the main door feed for a quick test, they are actually wired up in parallel now so both come on.

My aim was to fit puddle lights, but I got distracted by the indicators sitting looking rather sad in a box, I've had them for about 3-4 months and not done anything with them. They are supposed to stick onto your wing mirror but they looked a bit big and daft like that.

Last edited:
This is absolutely the truth! Just yesterday I had it in mind to attempt this very mod! I thought about having a look for a wing-mirror having roughly similar dimensions to the A2 (but having side repeaters installed, though), on any make of car. I would then search for an example of that car being broken. The wing mirrors that I obtained would then provide the parts needed to convert the A2 mirrors. Graigyb's work is, as usual, much more imaginative! Obviously, the cost is far less because he isn't having to buy complete mirrors for parts! The cost must be a mere fraction of your fantastic headlights, Craig! I am surprised that you haven't used Audi Q7 side-repeaters in your mirrors, too! LOL! Hey, well done and thanks for sharing it with us, Craig

David

I think it would be near impossible to get any other mirrors to fit/work on the A2, the main considerations being the fit to the vehicle and the functionality of the motors.

The cost of this mod was very low, including the LED lights, paint (silver), translucent seal, glue and paint brushes it was about £30

No, you have misunderstood me .... I would have used those mirrors just for the side-repeater part, so I would have been looking for a suitable length and curvature. I suppose that it would have been pretty wasteful as the rest of the mirror would then be scrap! I do recall reading on a Mercedes forum about the upgrading of side mirrors to give side-repeating function? I think that the necessary parts were obtainable as separate Mercedes spare parts? I know I was joking when I said about AUDI Q7 side-repeaters, but I now wonder if there IS anything available in the Audi parts line? What bits have you sourced, Craig?

David

I think I looked at every mirror Audi made as I see them every day at work, but nothing matched the curve of the A2 mirror, The Audi LED lens also go to the edge of the mirror so the driver can see them which would a be a problem in the A2 mirror fit, also the space behind the mirror to fit a lens is very tight, so I doubt if you could fit any LED lens type arrangement into them.

These are the LEDs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-8-LED...986&pid=100005&prg=1048&rk=4&sd=180576908406&

O.K. I'd like to go for this one .... you're a great innovator! I feel that the difficulty is going to be in getting an accurate and close opening cut into the mirror body, so the array then fits very snugly ... would it be possible to fit a (thin) edging around the raw opening so that it tightly abutted onto the indicator array? It would need to be colour matched to to mirror body, though .... WOW! nobody will miss my A2 when it is about to turn, what with the additional full-width array in the headlights and the mirrors, too! ( and the standard flasher in the headlight is still retained!) "FAIRY LIGHTS", Tom? More like "Blackpool Illuminations!" LOL!

David

Cutting the mirror plastic was my biggest worry, but slightly undercut with a dremmel and then smooth filed out to the correct width. It left a very sharp edge on the mirror plastic which cut into my finger. I used silver paint to dress the black plastic exposed by the cutting/filing and then glued the indicators into the cut out. I then used translucent silicone to seal around the lights.

As I said the hardest part is getting the feed to the indicators through the car.

Great! I'm going to use the outer sheath of "Tower" 0.5 mm2 2-core, flat flex (B&Q) to go around that raw edge. It is oval and only 5mm wide x 2mm deep .... It could give quite a good finish, painted to the mirror body colour ... if not, then I'll just use your method. Do you know what interest you arouse with your projects, Craig? OVER 200+ VIEWINGS in the few hours that your post has been there! (I suppose I account for a few of those, though!). LOL!

David

Back