Anyone sold an A2 to buy a TT?

freakyeke

A2OC Donor
I am looking at Audi TT's in the possibility of buying one. However, I would have to sell my A2 to fund a it.

I love my A2 and have spent a small fortune and a huge amount of time on it.

Has anyone on the forum ever traded their A2 in for a 1999-2004 TT? Did you regret it or was it the best thing you ever did?

Any comments appreciated.

To my knowledge in order of doing it since 2010 or so.

GrahamR (180 quattro)

Richard- (3.2 v6 now written off)

Jeffers66 (3.2 V6 still got an A2)

AJ sellors has an A2 and a TT

there's probably more. I nearly bought a roadster in 2005. I think the original TT is a beautiful motor car. It'll be a regret that I'll probably never own one. Good luck with your search

Last edited:
I have an A2 and a TT - love them both for their looks but they are chalk and cheese to drive. I would keep the A2 and get a loan to buy the TT - there are loads on the market and prices low so you can afford to be picky.

Simon.

I have an A2 and a TT - love them both for their looks but they are chalk and cheese to drive. I would keep the A2 and get a loan to buy the TT - there are loads on the market and prices low so you can afford to be picky.

Simon.

I would agree fully with you're views Simon, chalk and cheese definately. Obviously it's a totally different drive and I have the 3.2 Dsg as Murdo correctly points out, a comfortable cruiser and goes like a scalded cat if you want it to!
But, I wouldn't loose the A2! They are such a nice car and fun the drive, you'll miss it I'm sure and want one back, if you can afford both then do it, otherwise it's a tough call, best thing to do is test drive a few different models first, I drove a 180bhp and wasn't overly impressed although the car looked stunning it wasn't for me, but we are all different thankfully
Good luck in your search!
Cheers Jeff

I have always been tempted but without a garage or driveway it's not possible

I've not owned one, but was going to buy one back in 2006 so can give my opinions on them from way back when.

I would personally only look at the 1.8T 225 Quattro, or the 3.2 V6. My experiences of driving a few 225s were that didn't seem that fast, or handle that great. But they look great in my opinion, really nice design, much better than the mk2 ones in my mind. I thought the interiors were nice, and quirky in a good way, and in the right colour combinations still look prestige.

I was looking at a silver one that was a couple of years old, and it had some signs of rust on the door sill (where someone had shut the seatbelt in the door), and I also tried to buy a blue one with cream interior that was really really nice, but it didn't have bose like advertised.

I think they look great in more bold colours, most of them sold seem to be black and silver though. The roadsters always seem to be cheaper for some reason, but I think the coupes look better.

Check out the ttforum for buyers guides, I must admit I've been put off of them after reading about some of the bills people were getting. They don't score well on reliability index, and have some known issues with the engine (mostly censor based), and the well documented dash pod too (which is less of a problem now third parties can repair them).

Very pretty cars, and looking very good value for money, but I would strongly advise you get one that has a stack of history with it, and ideally one that has had a suspension refresh recently to cover that bill off.

They have the curse (maybe a little harsh) of being designed rather than engineered, so things are packaged a little strangely, and can be a little hard to work on with some jobs. Much like the A2, which I see as a very similar design.

Not sure if budget can stretch to it, but look out for the Quattro Sport models which were strict 2 seaters, and featured a rear strut brace in the back, and a black painted roof, as well as some other bits here and there. You can get a haldex controller for the quattros (1.8T and 3.2) that will split the power 50:50 between front and rear, as they are mostly front biased normally. In the rain, they're probably great stock, but in the dry the Megane 225 Cup I had at the time, would romp all over them, and it felt much more aggressive in power delivery.

That said, I'd buy a mk1 TT, if it was cheap, or really well looked after. Aim for an enthusiast owned one from the forum (plus you get to read back through their posts to see if there are any issues ;) )

Strange, i have been looking at buying a MKI TT Roadster for use in the summer months.

I bought a new TT Coupe back in 2002, Silver, 18" RS4's, Black leather and Bose.

Im thinking about a 225 Roadster in Avus Silver, Red leather and Bose.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to see one with baseball stitch leather, but have only ever seen photos of them. I'm not sure if I would like it

I've looked at lots of TT's on the internet today and as much as I really want one, I don't think I could sell my A2.

If I were to buy a TT, it would be a 225 or 3.2 in grey, green or blue with grey or cream interior. The cream leather looks especially good.

I already have a mk2 Skoda Octavia Tdi Lauren & Klement as well as my A2, and a 3rd car wouldn't be an option. I think I will stick with what I have, for now.

Thanks for the informative replies, gentlemen.

I have 3 a2`s and a tt in all fairness most people seem to jump on the band wagon with the tt`s handling characteristics saying its not all that great these are people that rely on the likes of jeremy clarkson for opinions and have probably never even driven one lets face it its probably only going to be used for a bit of pleasure and not going to be shoved round the nurburgring or bouncing off the red line round the 'El Camino de la Muerte' it is good at what it does and should be consider`d as a "GT" grand tourer and not compared to a lotus etc if you dont have incredible expectations then the tt is a really good car i have the 1.8t 225 bhp model with the best engine code "bam" the 225 has some decent advantages over the 180 version for instance
180 bhp is only a 5 speed gearbox vs 225 is a six speed as standard
180bhp models are not all quatro vs 225 this is standard and only comes in that guise
225 bhp model has forged internals ..conrods twin intercoolers bigger turbo etc and does make for an all round better drive the downside to the 1.8t is they are notorious for boost leeks as they have some complex pipework and its quite hit and miss trying to pinpoint the issue if you like the sound of a dump valve you will also be disapointed as they use a recirc and not and atmospheric type i have brought a forge diverter valve for mine which is the best of both worlds dont use anything else as can do more harm than good engine is easily tunable to almost 300 horses without a massive outlay
ie remap, free flow filter sports cat stainless exhaust after these basics its starts getting pricey
my personal favourite is the 3.2 version these are mostly found to be the dsg model which is nice when its working correctly its an auto with flappy paddle option although very costly should it go wrong the ultimate tt is the rarely seen 3.2 full on manual these really put the 1.8ts to shame they have such a nice engine note and feel really nice and tight
A word of warning though if considering a 3.2 these are chain driven and do suffer from stretch the symptons often manifest`s itself as a missfire dont take someones word for "it needs a service or a set of plugs" This can be a normally is down to chain stretch again a costly job
with any quattro model its also worth asking when the haldex oil was last changed its not a costly job but its a good way to test the water and see if the owner has kept the car correctly maintained
For some reason the tt seems to be priced very reasonably at the minute so is definately a buyers market what i have written is only my opinion and at the end of the day its yours that counts if you fancy one take the plunge .......but try and keep your little a2 aswell :cool:

I've looked at lots of TT's on the internet today and as much as I really want one, I don't think I could sell my A2.

If I were to buy a TT, it would be a 225 or 3.2 in grey, green or blue with grey or cream interior. The cream leather looks especially good.

I already have a mk2 Skoda Octavia Tdi Lauren & Klement as well as my A2, and a 3rd car wouldn't be an option. I think I will stick with what I have, for now.

Thanks for the informative replies, gentlemen.

On a last note, If I hadn't bought a Imola Yellow TT I would have opted for dolphin grey with black or silver grey leather" a great combination which looks good on the A2 equally! It's a shame the nearest they got to silver grey on the A2 was platinum, equally as good as Darren C can vouch for but a shame there wasn't many more leather colour options for the A2! Or were there?
Imagine baseball leather, cool!
Cheers Jeff

Back