Anything to worry about?

Recently bought my A2 (2nd hand) and the only real complaint or worry i have is that when i build speed to about 50-60+ or mostly at around 70+ the car sounds a little like its going over bumps in the road (think when you cross a bridge and as the car crosses the joins you get a dunk kinda noise)

its frequent, about 1-2 times a second and by my reckoning is coming from the rear nearside but thats always hard to gauge when driving as im sure you know.

any suggestions? i am not due for a service for approx 12K which will take me a good year and im on limited finances so i really just want it checked if need be but without expense.

Thanks

It might be stating the obvious,but have you checked the tyres for a nail or similar embedded in it.
Sometimes its not that easy to see them as the heads get worn off.
I had a similar noise to what you are describing on my old seat Ibiza and I traced it back to this.
Hope this may be of help.

:confused: On my old polo, it was a loose rear caliper bolt but i think you should take both back wheels off and compare the security of fittings quite often it can be something obvious when you do this. you cant do any harm if it isnt obvious to you as long as you put it back together ok whic isnt difficult. A quick way of checking if it is the brakes is to lightlytouch your pedals while you drive just enough so the calipers engage with the disc but dont apply toomuch in the way of force to the wheels then if you still hear the noise you can discoutn the brakes as their operation has no effect on't noise lad.
Also a noise you think is coming from somehere when you are in the car can quite often come from somewhere else . An example of this is the clunking you get from worn ball joints whihc are at the front of the car, so check these too for anything obvious you are supposed to be able to check these with a long prybar and a haynes manual will tell you how for any vehicle whihc will apply to the a2 but i have never underswtood these instructions on this and usually replace the ball joints as soon as the rubber gaiters are ripped on them.
good luck

Answer to that knocking noise

The clutch recently went on my 04 registration Audi (cost a whopping £750 to repair (following a £120 discount) and I am still complaining to Audi as it was an approved used vehicle - but that's another story). When the clutch was repaired the car was taken out on a test drive. The technician reported that he heard a "knocking sound. Solution: requires anti-roll bar and bushes". The parts are now on order and the repair will be covered under warranty.

Hope this helps.

Back