Audi A2 1.4tdi Sport Boot Contents?

985J

Had my 2002 1.4TDI Sport A2 for some months now and have spaces in the inserts located in the boot, I've sorted compressor, wheel brace, jack and puncture liquid. However as you look into the boot I have a space in an insert just inside the boot nearest to me, and on the other side of the compressor is a what I describe as a plastic vertical fitted sleeve that has wires on the outside of it but no obvious slot in connections, can anyone help?

Think my picture has attached to help.

J

Attachments

• Kirklees-20151019-00011.jpg
    Kirklees-20151019-00011.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 378
The vast majority of A2s have that empty slot. It is used when you have the Audi OEM sat nav system fitted to the car. Not many people have that piece of kit (it gets mixed reviews) so you will often find that slit empty.

Steve B

Had my 2002 1.4TDI Sport A2 for some months now and have spaces in the inserts located in the boot, I've sorted compressor, wheel brace, jack and puncture liquid. However as you look into the boot I have a space in an insert just inside the boot nearest to me, and on the other side of the compressor is a what I describe as a plastic vertical fitted sleeve that has wires on the outside of it but no obvious slot in connections, can anyone help?

Think my picture has attached to help.

J

Hi J,
I know the gap nearest you would've held the plastic fluid bottle for a puncture repair as the A2's didn't come with a spare wheel unless ordered specially, someone may correct me but the sleeve at top right was for the navigation unit and is generally empty unless you had sat Nav fitted, the small penny size slot will be for you're wheel centre cap removal tool,and the round hole next to that is for your locking wheel nut security bolt if you have them, there are spare wheels available occasionally but quite rare now, there is also a bracket still available from Audi which the spare wheel attaches to into the two screw stud slots you see at top left.
Hope this helps
Cheers Jeff

The vast majority of A2s have that empty slot. It is used when you have the Audi OEM sat nav system fitted to the car. Not many people have that piece of kit (it gets mixed reviews) so you will often find that slit empty.

Steve B

I wouldn't mind having that sat nav system as it's quite a rarity, the only thing stopping me is sourcing one and no doubt it will be quite pricey.

I wouldn't mind having that sat nav system as it's quite a rarity, the only thing stopping me is sourcing one and no doubt it will be quite pricey.
Yes, that would be difficult to find (but not impossible).
But unless you want totally IEM the RNSE unit from another Audi model is quite popular.

Depending on how hard you look, an RNS E unit can cost from £250 upwards. A little filing of the fascia and it fits perfectly.
Looks totally OEM (even though the A2 never had them). A cheap loom to convert the connections and it is more or less "plug and play"

Do a search on here for RNSE and you will find lots of details and many pictures (or click on my signature link below to see how good they look.

Sorry if you are slready aware of the RNS E conversion. But the original A2 sat nav doesn't get great reviews and may be as difficult to retrofit.

Steve B

Thanks Steve. I would also need a double din dashboard which costs roughly £200 ( I think ) then whatever the labour would be to fit it, so roughly £500 plus for the full conversion including the RNSE . Is this price accurate?

Yes, that would be difficult to find (but not impossible).
But unless you want totally IEM the RNSE unit from another Audi model is quite popular.

Depending on how hard you look, an RNS E unit can cost from £250 upwards. A little filing of the fascia and it fits perfectly.
Looks totally OEM (even though the A2 never had them). A cheap loom to convert the connections and it is more or less "plug and play"

Do a search on here for RNSE and you will find lots of details and many pictures (or click on my signature link below to see how good they look.

Sorry if you are slready aware of the RNS E conversion. But the original A2 sat nav doesn't get great reviews and may be as difficult to retrofit.

Steve B

Thanks Steve. I would also need a double din dashboard which costs roughly £200 ( I think ) then whatever the labour would be to fit it, so roughly £500 plus for the full conversion including the RNSE . Is this price accurate?
It would be tight on that budget but doable if you find s cheap uni and do the work yourself.

Steve B

It would be tight on that budget but doable if you find s cheap uni and do the work yourself.

Steve B

I have nightmares about doing dashboard conversion. I'm what you called an amateur diy guy, I can do the basics but something that big would be difficult for me, not that I'm shy of trying.

Does the addition of Bose mean that the tools and so on are moved to the driver's underfloor compartment?

I have nightmares about doing dashboard conversion. I'm what you called an amateur diy guy, I can do the basics but something that big would be difficult for me, not that I'm shy of trying.

I wouldn't say that it's beyond a DIY mechanic at all. I did it without any inguides and managed to remove it in less than an hour (albeit the steering wheel and dash vents had already been removed). Before breaking an A2 I had only ever done basic servicing work, you'd be surprised what you are capable of if you just have a go. Also with the A2 it has been built logically so the majority of parts can be removed successfully if you take your time.

Steve B, what great work you've done, not being that brave myself and wanting to add rear electric windows and front fogs to my 2002 TDi Sport, are you aware of anyone that would do it for me for a reasonable price?

J

Steve B, what great work you've done, not being that brave myself and wanting to add rear electric windows and front fogs to my 2002 TDi Sport, are you aware of anyone that would do it for me for a reasonable price?

J

Tom (Timmus) did mine for me (fogs and windows) and to his usual meticulous standard.

Across the Pennines but worth it.

Steve B

Back