Audi A2 mpg not what I expected

I've just brought myself a fabulous 1.4 SE A2 which I love to bits, but I'm not getting the mileage out of it I thought I would.

I'm getting just about 250-260 miles out of a tank of unleaded. I was hoping for a bit more than that. It's a 2001 model and it's done 63,000 miles. It runs great, but I'm concerned about the mpg. Am I expecting too much? Should I chuck in a slug of Redex to try and clean things up a bit?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon.:D

How many litres do you put in for the 250-260 miles?

I've read that some Millers products increase the Octane levels, which may help the mpg, as well as cleaning the injectors. Worth trying Redex and Millers to see if either helps.

Normally the most significant factor is the duty cycle you drive. Obviously driving slowly at constant speed will be better than city driving. What's your typical journey?

Not sure how many litres went into it as my girlfriend has been filling it up so far. I'll get her to take note next time she does.
Most of the driving we've been doing has been general/ local driving around like most people really, so I expected not to get much out of it. I just thought I'd get more than that.

We have been driving sensibly though e.g. not speeding or revving too hard.

Might try some redex or the like and see if that helps a bit. Is that stuff ok to put into the engine? I know some people say it doesn't do modern engines any good. But then my engine is nearly 10 years old.

Unless you actually work out the mpg saying I get xxx miles per tankful is not really a good guide to good/poor economy. Try and do a brim to brim check. Remeber stop start, city/urban driving especially in cold weather hammers fuel consumptione especially on a petrol. How does it compare with your previous car?

2001, you'll be on the 37L tank like mine. The low fuel indicator comes on at about 30L. It sounds about right at 250 miles. I don't normally get more than 230 but then I don't spend much time in constant speed. On a motorway light load at 70mph, with v-power, I can get almost 100 miles from from the 1st 1/4 of the fuel indicator. Where as not on motorway, in town (my normal), I'll be happy with 120 miles when the fuel indicator hits 1/2.

It was the same with me when i first got mine, i was doing 300 miles to a tank and thats a tdi with a large tank but i am now getting about 460 miles, i have just adapted to driving the car, it is uneconomical when you get past about 75mph as i have found out.

In the nicest way possible, its not the car the driver!!

Chris

On this note when the fuel gauge shows empty is there a reserve tank as my scan gauge says i can go another 60 odd miles when the gauge shows nearly empty and the light is on??

Chris

i wonder does the driving history of the car have an effect too? Im in a tdi but mileage seemed to improve quite a bit even on city driving after I spent a month driving a 220 mile journey twice a week.

On my 2001 1.4 petrol I managed to get to 307 miles before the warning beep last summer, but at the moment it's going off around the 260-270 mark. For some reason I always try to run on after the beep until I reach 300 miles for the tank, and feel disapointed if I have to fill up before..... stupid I know. :confused:

Thanks guys, i'll check all those things out. We do try to drive as eco' as possible. How much difference does it make having the heaters and fans etc on?

I'll see how the car gets on as we get used to driving it. I'll also try it out on a long m/way drive too.

Thanks.:)

Yep it should do as the cars have adaptive ecu's so if you are a more relaxed driver than previous then it should adapt to that and burn less fuel in theory

Chris

On this note when the fuel gauge shows empty is there a reserve tank as my scan gauge says i can go another 60 odd miles when the gauge shows nearly empty and the light is on??

Chris

I believe the fuel warning comes on when you have 7 litres left in the tank

John

I think it adapts over a very long period of time so that if another driver gets in it doesnt change, dont know the exact details though

Chris

I was told (maybe incorrectly) that there are two types of adaptiveness that can occur.

1) Initial learning

After a battery disconnect, the ECU loses it long term settings and will take up whatever style of driving you first do on the car

2) Long term adjustments

This is where the ECU keeps a record of long term averages and makes small adjustments over a period of time

I may have to stand corrected as this is information given to me by another party.

Chuffed with my mpg

:D

Over the past week I did a lot of long distance with a mix of some city driving on a full (second or third click) tank of petrol on my 2003 1.4 A2 and did 389 miles before the refil beep sounded today.

I think it could be making sure I have the right inflation in my tyres (32psi) and the fact I was doing constant 70mph on good motorways for most of it.

I've been looking at my MPG, the DIS has jumped 1.0 from 43.4mpg to 44.4mpg since a replacement air filter and service by mike ... who we both believed the air filter has been in since 2005!! considering it has been serviced before with them, and it should of been replaced..

I get around 450 miles on shell regular diesel, now i've just calculated on the below (quick google) http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php and it came up with around 51 MPG, with 450 miles entered, and 40 litres of fuel at 1.15 so that is two different figures so maybe my DIS computer is out somehow? I have reset it many times and it always goes back to around 44MPG, and there is barely traffic here and most of my miles are motorway...

On my 2001 1.4 petrol I managed to get to 307 miles before the warning beep last summer, but at the moment it's going off around the 260-270 mark. For some reason I always try to run on after the beep until I reach 300 miles for the tank, and feel disapointed if I have to fill up before..... stupid I know. :confused:

I must admit - I'm exactly the same!:D

It's crazy, because as fuel prices increase you will get less miles on a set amount of fuel. For example I used to get 330 miles out of £40 of diesel in my A4 Quattro 2.5 TDi Avant, (44mpg). Now it's around 300 miles and dropping. The chancellor has already announced that a further 3p hike will be added in incremental rises over 9 months.

My wife drives an A2 1.4TDi and she fills it up to the brim at fuel stops. She gets around 350 miles on a tank (£32 roughly). That's A-class roads with very little city-driving.

Back