audi better do this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at this option as well but did not want an ugly permanent cradle at any cost... and the BMW option of having it in the glove box sounds OK but only if the current song and artist name is displayed on the head unit's screen... I don't think it does. I love to see what is playing as I have so much music I don't know what all of it is anymore! Also would you like your iPod to be flying around in your glove box with whatever else when an A2 goes over a speed bump? hmmm...

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

I already have several 'ugly' toys in the car which require running of cables and such so I wasn't too bothered by having the cradle.

Given that the car audio controls provide one with very little control over the iPod I quite like having it available for instant searching/selecting/etc.

Here's pics of the install:

http://www.alizta.com/gallery/audi_a2_toys

iTrip gets ho-hum reviews especially in London with lots of pirate radio stations jamming "your" chosen frequency as you drive around. Two of my friends had them and don't use them anymore in the car for this reason and sometimes unacceptable sound quality. At least with the tape option it is constant - though yes, you have some wires unfortunately!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Hi Dennis,

I have the X's-Drive Pro right here. Bought it with a 40Gb 5400 rpm drive.

But I never looked at it as an MP3 player. It just happens to be the most cost-effective way of storing my digital photo's from my precious Nikon D70. And that's why I bought it.

So I cannot vouch for the quality of the sound it produces. Never listened to it. However, as a standalone mp3 player it seems worthless to me, when you look at the 2 hour lifespan of the battery. Way too short of course. It's also quite bulky and the display is hard to read under most lighting. So no use of fancy playing features, just some track info and a simple equalizer.
But in a car, it might just work. You can have a 12v adapter for as little as 9 euro for it. Or build it yourself (as the drive runs on 12v natively anyway).

If you care to know more, contact me ([email protected]).

Oh, bought mine from www.d95.nl, but many seem to prefer it a few euros cheaper, from Power In Numbers in Australia...

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Swiv,

I saw the VP3310 on Ebay for 199 Euro's.
How would you rate the transferspeed. I use a 128 Mb SanDisk with my Nikon. Do you reckon that this could be transferred to the XS-Drive within 5 minutes ?

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

3310? Don't you mean VP300 (which is the pro version I have)....
Ah, now I see it. They brought out an upgraded version with new buttons and a backlight on the LCD display. Nice. But probably the same under the hood (they even copied the texts from the vp300 on their site ;)

Anyway, transfer rates depend a bit on the type of card you use, and also whether you mean transfer from CF to PC(so, connected via USB to a PC) or CF to HD ('standalone mode').

If you use a USB1 connection to your PC, then that's the most limiting factor in any case. Writing or reading will be around 750kb/s I guess.

If you use a USB2 connection (like I do), speeds depend more on the CF card. My Sandisk 512Mb Ultra II does around 5Mb/s in reading. Haven't tried writing. These Ultra II cards are the fastest on the market and should be able to be read at speeds around 9Mb/s!
Reading from the xs-drive's HD over USB reaches the same speeds on my machine.

When copying a CF to the xs-drive's internal HD (standalone), speeds are kind of slowish. That same Sandisk card of mine only does about 1Mb/s or less. That means a wait of about 10 to 12 minutes for copying 512Mb.
So count in 1/4 of that for your 128Mb card, i.e. under 3 minutes.
However, if you have a backup card for your camera this wait is probably way shorter than the time it takes to fill up your backup with new photos.

I only own CF, so I don't know about speeds when copying from any of the other 8 or so formats that the drive accepts in its card-slots...

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back