Audi buys Chinese EV platform

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
According to The Electric Viking on YT Audi are to buy a Chinese EV platform in an apparent move to make up lost ground. Why they can't build on VW platform I don't know.

Mix feelings in the comments. Some say it's just to buy time why the develop their own. Others that it will be used just for the Chinese market. Some say that customers don't care what's underneath, just what the body and interior look and feels like.

Apparently last year VW spent US $2bn on buying a Chiness software company to fix/replace the poor software in its ID3/4/5 cars.

China is quietly dominant in EVs. From buses to scooters. London buses are Chinese driving chassis, bodied by Dennis Alexander. Other bus and coach companies are buying complete ready to go Chinese vehicles. Seems the west is not in same league. Think how this effects our balance of payments. Several hundred thousands a pop.
Mac

I'd like a new car; maintenance on 20 year old cars is getting to be a bit of a task. I'm not yet convinced I should look beyond a good clean diesel.

I just like driving cars similar, (and simple), to those I drove in "ye olden days" The cost of running my A2 and TT, is well below the depreciation on a new, or nearly new car, ice or ev.
Mac.
I agree, I too prefer to drive old motors. As I say though maintenance is getting a bit much. They have a combined age of 126 years and combined mileage of 570k. All need work with the A2 the most needy; I still need a good AMF.
Sometimes I feel it would be nice to drive a car that has no repair needs and is covered by warranty.

I agree, I too prefer to drive old motors. As I say though maintenance is getting a bit much. They have a combined age of 126 years and combined mileage of 570k. All need work with the A2 the most needy; I still need a good AMF.
Sometimes I feel it would be nice to drive a car that has no repair needs and is covered by warranty.
Yes, just sometimes, but not too often. My choice would be an Alpine A110, what would be yours?
Mac.

Yes, just sometimes, but not too often. My choice would be an Alpine A110, what would be yours?
Mac.
Sadly I have not yet driven it, but according to tests it is almost what I would want. Low weight, perfect chassis.
But since I prefer NA, I got myself Twingo 2 RS. Chassis engineering is just bonkers from Renault Sport. 1 minute into a drive and I have a smile from one ear to the other.
Though for a daily I love my “preped” Octavia 3 diesel. Sadly it is not a manual.

This might turn into the proverbial "can of worms"
Mac.
I have a Boxster for driving fun so I would look for practicality and comfort for a daily Probably a Merc E Class estate. These I understand, getting the thread back on track, will be hybrids. Diesel out in the sticks, electric around town?

Back