Audi chorus ii radio 'telefon' message

nod

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a chorus ii into an a2 that I bought with no radio. I bought the code to unlock it and can get past the safe message but then the dismay just shows 'telefon'.
I read somewhere that this could be due to a short in the telephone mute wire. I have disconnected the red block that only has one wire in, for the telephone mute. I have unplugged power and reentered the code without the red block connection but still the same. 4.red lights on and the only button on the stereo that does anything is fad. When pushed it shows 'fad off'. Then reverts back to telefon message.
Anyone know what's going on here?. The other blocks look to have standard wiring.
Cheers

Can you confirm the Chorus unit you have is indeed the Chorus II? The Chorus II does not have a FAD button, but the Chorus I does.

Chorus I:
chorus.jpg

Chorus II:
4516723800_1432899384.jpg

Ahh, well spotted, that's the first thing I have a chorus 1, definitely. Is the wiring different?

From your profile, you have a 2003 FSI. That would mean that you would need a Chorus II (or any other Generation 2 unit). I don't have the technical explanation for it, however it has something to do with pre-CAN (2000 and 2001 models) and post-CAN A2s. If you're interested in their differences, have a search on the forum. There are a few around, e.g.:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21634-Chorus-to-Concert-issues&p=166016#post166016
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?10361-Audi-chorus-concert-for-a2

but these are mostly for pre-CAN A2s wanting to run post-CAN head units.

Okay many thanks, that clears it up! I'm putting the radio into a 2003 1.4 petrol sport...a second a2. But the pre post can thing will be the same. I have a cheap concert 2 from an Audi a4 on the way, £19 posted. I'll try that when it arrives. I know it won't fit in terms of facial, but at that price I was going to take a Sanders to the plastic surround. I'll post the results. They are Much cheaper than a2 concert 2s. They are compatible in tens of electric s?
Is there a guide for which Audi stereos are compatible with a2s? I had a search but couldn't find one on the forum.
Thanks again saved me a lot of search es.
Cheers

Okay many thanks, that clears it up! I'm putting the radio into a 2003 1.4 petrol sport...a second a2. But the pre post can thing will be the same. I have a cheap concert 2 from an Audi a4 on the way, £19 posted. I'll try that when it arrives. I know it won't fit in terms of facial, but at that price I was going to take a Sanders to the plastic surround. I'll post the results. They are Much cheaper than a2 concert 2s. They are compatible in tens of electric s?
Is there a guide for which Audi stereos are compatible with a2s? I had a search but couldn't find one on the forum.
Thanks again saved me a lot of search es.
Cheers

I've used a dremel to cut an A4 Concert down to fit the A2 aperture - if you're careful, you can't tell.
I did strip the front panel off to do the job, though, as it's a bit fiddly and quite messy when you're sanding the edges flat.

I can't work out how to add photos from my mobile, but just to let you all know the Audi a4 concert 2 I bought for 19 pounds off eBay fitted perfectly after I sanded the extra plastic edge off the facia. It was easy with an orbital sander. The wiring seems to plug in easily and after entering the code the stereo works normally in my 2003 1.4 bby. A cheap alternative to an a2 concert 2 if you are looking on a budget. Cheers

Make sure it has the two feeds, ignition and constant live also that they are in the correct place in the plugs.

Back