Audi Concert

Morning folks,

Looking for some more info if possible.. I'm looking into changing the Concert I currently have installed in my car to something after market more than likely a Sony (mex-n5100bt) but wondered if there is anything I should know before doing so?

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

First question would be why do you want to do it? What extra features do you want over and above what Concert does.

Second question what age is your A2 (pre 2002 or post 2002)

This will help give considered opinions :)

First question would be why do you want to do it? What extra features do you want over and above what Concert does.

Second question what age is your A2 (pre 2002 or post 2002)

This will help give considered opinions :)
The only feature I want that it doesn't have is an AUX port I hate making CD's everything is on my phone so it's a hassle for me . Plus I've been offered the Sony mentioned for good money so thought it might have been worth the switch. My A2 is an 02 plate

Okay to fit the Sony kit you will not only need the head unit you will need a wiring kit as well which is likely to be ~ £20-30, plus this will involve putting the fake fascia on the sides which is a royal PITA. Then you will probably lose a decent radio signal as you've probably got a "diversity" aerial....

The X-CarLink makes a much neater "OEM" look, allows blue tooth streaming and also hands free phone. Okay, it is slightly more expensive than the above kit, but when combined with the Sony it probably won't be much more. Plus it makes for a much nicer look to the car. Finally, if ever you get around to getting BOSE fitted (which sounds amazing considering the package size BTW) then it's a reasonably simple upgrade, if you've fitted a 3rd party head unit it's not going to work.

Okay to fit the Sony kit you will not only need the head unit you will need a wiring kit as well which is likely to be ~ £20-30, plus this will involve putting the fake fascia on the sides which is a royal PITA. Then you will probably lose a decent radio signal as you've probably got a "diversity" aerial....

The X-CarLink makes a much neater "OEM" look, allows blue tooth streaming and also hands free phone. Okay, it is slightly more expensive than the above kit, but when combined with the Sony it probably won't be much more. Plus it makes for a much nicer look to the car. Finally, if ever you get around to getting BOSE fitted (which sounds amazing considering the package size BTW) then it's a reasonably simple upgrade, if you've fitted a 3rd party head unit it's not going to work.
Totally understand and I agree with the Sony being offered at £50 then £20/£30 for wiring etc it sounds more effort than it's worth. Have you fitted an XCarLink before? Do you know if it is relatively straightforward? This might be my new route to go down

I've personally not fitted one, but only because Timmus was around to fit it to Project X. It seems relatively straightforward, and I believe the kit you get even includes the stereo removal tools, but if not they're only about £5 off ebay.

I went down the Sony route on our very first A2 a few years ago, but was always a bit disappointed that the fit was never quite right, and the fascia screws damaged the dash and kept falling out etc. It certainly failed the WAF*.

*Wife Approval Factor

I’m fitting a double DIN nav unit and it’s true that the FM signal is crap. It doesn’t matter as the unit I have is DAB with it’s own aerial. If it wasn’t for the Nav and DAB features the Audi unit is better in most respects.

Rear speakers are fitted so you guy's are doing well to persuade me to keep the Concert and go down the XCarLink route as I mentioned I'm not fussed for Bluetooth, NFC and all that jazz all I want is an AUX port so this is beginning to sound like the easiest option, it had crossed my mind to go double din as well but decided against that also

Recently reinstated a concert 2 (took out an aftermarket bluetooth/sdcard/usb head unit) much better sound and look. So also put in an X-carlink that was a very straight forward job. It literally inserts within the standard loom connectors.

Geoff

Recently reinstated a concert 2 (took out an aftermarket bluetooth/sdcard/usb head unit) much better sound and look. So also put in an X-carlink that was a very straight forward job. It literally inserts within the standard loom connectors...

... then pretends to be a CD changer :)

Well I'm in the process of swapping out my OEM headunit for a high end Alpine head unit and Sub with Amplifier. I can agree it's been a real challenge but it will be worth it I think in the end. I'm not likely to get a BOSE system so this will be OK.

I've bought a facia plate from Amazon, a new Alpine to ISO harness and then i bought a half amplified audi to ISO harness. I've not got it working yet as there seems to be a remote power on or some power thing that requires running a piggyback fuse to the new harness... I'm yet to do that as I've reached my knowledge of how to do it and time to learn it.

ALSO by running a 3rd party head unit you can also if you wanted to add CD changers, Bluetooth Mic's for in car phone use. and it's got AUX outs should you want to power the rear speakers and a sub with a multi channel amp.

My issue I had with the pretending to be the CD changer route is that I like to be able to see the song info and also on these 3rd part head units you can control the devices through the head unit rather than touching your phone illegally whilst driving.

My issue I had with the pretending to be the CD changer route is that I like to be able to see the song info and also on these 3rd part head units you can control the devices through the head unit rather than touching your phone illegally whilst driving.

I take your point, and as always these things are a compromise. This bothered me as well, so I ended up going to double-din and RNS-E route in the end. But that was probably about 10 times the price of above solution ;)

I've added Bluetooth to my Concert using a Connects2 and a bluetooth dongle which I've installed in the driver's cup holder.
With that, I can change tracks, answer and end calls and it also has a microphone built in. Total cost £38.78 and it works perfectly.

I've got an early 2001 Tdi with cassette and radio and a 6 CD changer in the boot which has stopped working. What are my upgrade possibilities? Could it be a simple swap to change the cassette/radio for a later A2 CD/radio?

You have to be careful about this, some of the 2001 cars didn't have the correct "canbus" that the later cars had.

Hopefully someone will come along and correct me, but I think it is something that you would need to check before buying.

Steve B

Back