Audi Ipod adaptor fitting. Instructions anyone?

AdamC

Have just won a genuine Audi Ipod adaptor 000 051 444L from ebay. I bought it to fit to my Concert single cd from my 2004 A2 SE. It was bought without the wire that connects the little black box to the Concert which I think is 8E0 051 445. I believe has to be joined in to the back of one of the ISO connectors but I also have no instructions.

Therefore I am asking

1. Will I be correct in asking my audi dealer for cable 8E0 051 445
(and not 8E0 051 445 A (the quadlock type))

2. Does anyone have the fitting instructions to copy

Thanks. Adam.

http://www.audipartssuperstore.com/catalog/pdf/audi_iPod_07.pdf

Hi Adam,

The pins fit in to the little black box that fits into the top of the rear CD unit. I am fairly average at this sort of thing and thought, like you, that I needed another cable but actually the pins are designed to fit into the existing cables. there is a guide which shows you how to fit and this should be with the kit. If it is not then let me know and I will have a look at home and see if I still have it. Cheers Lamby.

Thanks Lamby,
I will order lead 8E0 051 445, but I dont have the instructions you mention. (I assume the ebayer had the kit fitted at audi, didnt get the instructions and couldnt be bothered to remove said wire when he sold his car).
I would be very grateful if you could help me out with the instructions.

Adam.

Hi Adam,

Good news bad news I am afraid, I have found the instructions for the ipod connector and I have attached a photo, the instructions are in german although I am sure I had the english somewhere but the main thing is that the diagram and the colours of the wires (although in german they are obvious) that you need to connect to the harness at the back of the Concert II head unit are all clearly labeled. I have a scanner at work and will be able to scan this so you can clearly see what you have to do. I hope that helps?

For future reference of anybody else doing this job. The wires go into the back of the black connector that fits into the back of the cd player. You have to slide the little purple locking device within the connector to one side to slide the wires in until they click. The connector is numbered with tiny numbers on the back, the layout is a little odd and not all holes are numbered, but I managed to figure it out.

Brown 10
Purple 13
Red/blue 16
Yellow 19
Green 18
White 15
Blue 14
Purple/red 17
Grey 20

Dont forget to slide the purple locking bit back.

Thanks must go to Mike for assistance with this.

Took a while because the scanner at work was missing a driver.... typical. Anyway, please find attached the fitting instruction and operational controls for the Concert II cd player.

Chaps,
Am about to fit the same to my A2 - where's the best place to have the actual white ipod connector left for access?

Instructions indicate glove box - but I'm thinking of leaving it near the ash-tray or over by the right air vent.

Also - where do the two thick brown wires connect t - one has a connector & the other is a loose lead?

Many thanks
Art

Last edited:
Hi Art,

I fitted my lead through the roof of the glovebox. Mainly for security reasons. It wouldnt be difficult to take it elsewhere as the wires are quite long.
I think you must have a different cd player to me as you are using the alternative cable with the quadlock connector. It seems to be covered in the pdf supplied by lamby (figures 1 and 2 on page 3) and text at bottom of page 13. Difficult for me to understand without seeing the back of your cd player. Sorry.

I do indeed have the quadlock version - and no use to me - just ordered the correct version for my car (2004 model - not sure if this makes a difference.

Anyway an 8E0 051 445 is what was required - ordered from Audi £16.
quadlock version is part 8E0 051 445A.

Found a great link to fitting for future reference for folks: http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1921768

colours fit as:

20--17--14-------------n--n----n--n
--18--15--------------n--n----n--n
19--16--13------------10--n----n--n

grey--purple/red--blu------------n--n----n--n
--grn--wht------------------------n--n----n--n
yell--red/blu--purple---------brown-n----n--n

Last edited:
So despite posting the detail above I still managed to stick the purple/red cable into the slot for the purple cable - doh!

After resolving that (chopping wires at other end & swapping them) it works a treat - however it's quite an old unit so although it plays songs from my 3rd gen ipod touch it won't charge it, similar also true for latest gen nano's. However it does work fine & charge 5th gen full-fat ipod's - but is limited in terms of flipping through albums. In hindsight I may have been better off sticking with the Connects2 aux-in that I had!

HI
How good are the genuine vw audi ipod adaptors? Do they charge the unit? Display track number etc and can the concert 2 control the album/track selection etc.
Thanks
Steve

No they don't, the standard I pod interface form AUdi just plays the first 5 playlists from your Ipod, tend not to charge later ones and do show anything but track1, track2 etc in the DIS and radio.

If you want track information in the DIS and charging the Dension GW100 AC2 is the best way to go. It can be controlled from the stereo without a MFSW. But works better with.

I use a Dension GW Pro BT with an Ipod interface and DAB radio installed and this works well, but I have a MFSW.

Thanks Craigyb
How much are the dension units and do the suffer from freezing like the cheaper connects 2 units?
Steve

I don't know how much they are now, I haven't bought one for a long time. No one has complained about freezing with the GW100 they were fairly reliable.

I put an x-car link in my old A2 and was very happy with it.
So much so I put one in my new A2.
Amazingly with the Bose system it even gives you the capability of using five of your playlists as if they were cd`s in the changer.
Can`t comment on DIS as I do not have it fitted.

Back