Audi Original Rubber mate repair

depronman

A2OC Donor
When I got my last A2 TDI it came with a full set of Audi Rubber mats, all bar the drivers side were in mint condition, the the drivers side was worn through in two spots where the driver heal had worn the rubber through

I tried long and hard to purchase a replacement drivers side front rubber mat either new or second hand or even a set of two or four, however I had zero success.

I bought off a club member a used but very serviceable passenger side rubber mat, and have finally got around to accurately cutting the worn section out of the drivers side mat and a suitable section out of the passenger side mat and then using cyno and kicker glued the two pieces together.
I have reinforced the joint on the back side of the mat with push bike inner tube cyno'ed into place over the joint

The joint is hardly noticeable when looking close up so will never be seen when in its rightful place in the drivers foot well
Cyno makes a very strong joint on rubber, so I am hopeful of long service out of the repaired mat

IMG_0552.JPG

I like it Paul: I thought that would work.
Now you have pioneered the process I may do mine.
Andrew
Well worth the couple of hours worth of effort and the cyno and kicker from tool station, get the thin cyno in a 50ml bottle for around £2.50 and the kicker aerosol for £4. You also need a really shark scalpel and a good steel straight edge and a cutting mat.
Then just take your time and keep the scalpel at 90 deg.
I made the cut in the middle of the grooves
When cyno'ing the repair piece into the mat dry fit it first, then once in place run the cyno into the joint, it will wick into place. Spray some kicker onto the joints before assy and place a large piece of grease proof paper on the work bench to prevent cyno'ing the mat to the bench top, the grease proof paper will not stick to the rubber mat with the cyno.
allow to dry for an hour or better still overnight, then on the back side cut some bike inner tube in to flat sections and cyno into place over the joint acting as a reinforcement bridge over the joint.

finally I cleaned up the gap in the treat with a small grinding tip on a dremmel just to clean up any cyno and slight mis alignment

Best of luck (and watch for sticking fingers to rubber with cyno, it bonds skin VERY well)
Cheers,

You did look like you were being fairly liberal in your use of that spray :) but even on quick inspection it looked a good repair

Back