Audi Symphony II wire query

leehallum

A2OC Donor
Hello, I am still trying to get to teh bottom of my rear tweeter buzzing and thought I would have a quick look behind my symphony II head unit. When I pulled it out I could see signs of where someone at some point had cut two of the wires and then done a pretty poor job of connecting them back together, so I will sort those. (I think there was a hands free kit installed by the previous owner)

But I also saw another smaller black and white cable whcih looks like it has been cut and left loose, please see highlighted int he photo below.

Does anyone know what this might be for and does it need to be connected to anything?

Thanks

view 2.jpeg

Hi Lee,

The two wires that have been taped up are the main power wires to the radio - brown is negative and red/white is +12V.

The smaller black and white cable is a 'mute pin', meaning when a telephone call is active, the radio volume is cut to 0. The telephone controller in the car or handsfree kit in your case applies a signal to this wire, and mutes the stereo. As you're no longer using the handsfree kit, it's okay to leave this disconnected but please ensure that it's insulated. It should be the only wire going to a red 10 pin connector at the back of the stereo, though it looks as if this connector is missing entirely. :)

Regards,

Matt.

Thank you Matt, I appreciate the advice. I will do a bit of tidying up on the wires on the weekend

Lee

Back