Audi TDI SE 90PS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmo

[25]Just got my new TDI SE 90PS. Had sold my 75PS a few weeks ago and have been without the A2 since then. Sooo nice to get back behind the wheel.

The 90PS engine certainly pulls well even with now just 100 miles on the clock. There doesnt seem to be any/as much turbo lag as on my previous car.

From memory the only other differences (other than the options i chose) to my previous car are a new front grille, rear discs, red 'I' on the TDI badge and wiper blade.

Akoya silver works well the car IMO.

It was worth the wait - im happy again.
[25]

2002 A2 TDI SE, Azure Blue, Symphony II, Bose, Satellite Cloth
ON ORDER: 2004 A2 TDI SE 90PS, Akoya Silver, Climate, Open Sky, Winter pack, Symphony II, DIS, ISOFIX, Star Alloys, Matrix Cloth, Storage Pack

Nice innit?
Good spec too. Engine loosens up nicely, I've got 3000 miles on it and it's noticeably smoother now. Wait til it's run in and give it some stick, it really shifts!

Whilst the handling remains just as sharp, I've detected an improvement in ride quality comparing my new 2004 A2 SE TDI 90 to it's predecessor, a 2001 SE petrol model. It appears to be a bit more compliant. It's been suggested in the press that Audi have tweaked the suspension settings along the way and I'm inclined to believe it.

Regards
Ian

Ian-could it be the extra weight in the nose? That would dampen things...
How does the handling compare to the petrol?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Hi Steve. The extra weight could be a factor (1030kg v 920kg), but I recall noticing a better ride quality in a couple of the newer 1.4 petrol A2 service loan cars I've driven. (my previous car was an early 2001 model) The improvement is noticeable over transverse ridges and broken surfaces, although you'd never describe an A2 as having a cosseting suspension set-up.
Handling compares very well - the chassis can certainly cope, although I've seen the traction control light a few more times than in my 1.4 petrol! Surprisingly, the all-disc brake set up doesn't seem as sharp as my old 'un's disc drums, but I'm prepared to put that down to the bedding-in phase.
Regards
Ian
2004 1.4 TDI SE 90bhp - prev. 1.4 petrol SE

I wonder if Audi have done a change and not bothered to make a song-and-dance about it. Anyone have access to the Audi dealer bulletins?

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Been using a 2004 TDI 90ps se for the last week (whilst the garage fixed my heater!) and i agree the ride is a lot better. Both the spring rate and damping have been altered (i believe this is accross the whole A2 range).
The brakes i would agree are less sharp than on my 2002 TDI with more pedal movement but still seem fine. By the way the 90PS had 4500 miles on the clock whilst mine has 18000.
As for the engine, you realy notice the difference when overtaking or driving across country....HUGE TORQUE...and no turbo lag due to the variable pitch on the turbo blades.
All this and the big tank floppy wiper and not forgetting the RED i !!.
You never know i just might be tempted!

Dorian.

Glad to see you enjoyed the "new 'un" too.

I've had mine 6 weeks now and have just passed the 3k mile mark. I'm becoming even more impressed as the engine loosens up.

Regards

Ian - 2004 90PS Tdi SE - Akoya Silver (prev. 2001 1.4 petrol SE - Brilliant Black)

This may be off topic but is was mentioned here...

With the introduction of the Sport spec it was clear that the SE spec suspension was to firm and as such the difference between the two were not great. so buy softening the SE spec (which helps on UK roads) the difference is greater, resaulting in a more relaxed drive over bumps.

So if you drive a newer SE spec to an older SE spec you will feel the difference. the Sport spec are the same.

personnely i would have the SE over the Sport better standard equipment...

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

Rob, 'Akoya' silver was introduced to the A2 range for the 2004 model year and is a standard colour. It's noticably darker than the standard silver.

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Hello Rob

Shaf's description of the colour is spot on - I'd only add that in some lights it looks almost like a steel blue. No photo of mine yet but but I noticed a couple of used ones on the "Audi Approved Used" web pages recently (Teesside Audi had one, I think).

Regards

Ian

[8D]
Akoya is a beatiful colour and is a darker (slightly) silver with a touch of purple/blue in it. It particularly suits the A4 and A2.

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
I am the Fifth Column. I am no longer an A2 owner. The A3 TDI DSG is awesome - yoof influence - I do wear a baseball cap but NOT backwards.

maersk.....

Sure we had a maersk on here once.....mmmmmm, think he went to the dark side though......

How is A3 ownership?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back