Audi TT mk 1 gearknob

bobsimes

hi all,
i have managed to find myself a 5 speed original alloy tt gearknob and gater ect from ebay for £15 i have seen this thread

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2716

but has anyone fitted one to their A2 and if so how did it fit/secure to the gearstick and did you have to make any modifications to the metal shaft (ooerr matron)

all help appreciated thanks

ps will do a write up when fitted.

tt gearknob

have now fitted this and it looks cool.

the tt gearknob complete has a aluminium ring around the bottom and rubber boot like a cv joint rubber, not leather, i had to bore out the knob part with a large drill bit until it was a snug fit over the shaft, the chrome ring was a bit more tricky,
i used 1" self tapping stainless screws x 10 to fix it to the console around the gear shaft however i had to fabricate a wooden piece to take the screws at the part above the 1st,3rd gears as the aluminium ring is slightly larger that the original boot and there was nothing for the screws to fix into.

i then mixed some aryldite and applied about a teaspoon to the inside of the knob and fixed it into position, i then left it overnight before finally tightening all the screws down.

i will post a pic as soon as i get my car back from having the head gasket done but i can assure you it looks mint and for £15 for the bits off ebay well worth it.

simon :)

Ebay

try ebay (i think i was lucky at £15 as they all seemed to be £50 upwards when i was first looking)

or try partfinder (do yahoo search) or try local scrapyards they are fitted to all mk 1's (if you find one make sure the rubber boot is in good nick.

you will have to make a wooden insert to fix into the forward facing part of the boot as the tt ring is a little larger than the a2 leather boot, you will also need some one and a half inch screws (get these when you have the part.)

simon

Last edited:
Back