Auid A2 1.4tdi since 05 :)

DaJimstar

hi, my car Alfie, is an awesome 1.4tdi... a lot of other cars come and gone but had the A2 since 05.. Its dropping out of 5th all the time, missing the boot door casing, the battery is dead.. It needs some much love (which it deserves) and tlc.. So hello from Manc, I have no ambition to sell it, I will drive it till he retires.. Jus looking for some guidance and advice to make the most of my £ and spend it at the right places to get him all P.I.M.P.E.D..

looking for:

1. It is dropping out of 5th to neutral on the motorway, scary so need that sorted (pref at a transmission place in Manchester/North West).
2. 2 small (oxygenisation) spots on the boot to be sorted.
3. I have the older of the windscreen arm set ups, its c*ap. I want the newer full unit.
4. Chipped.
5. Some new shoes and laces.
6. Mostly what you more experienced lasses and lads suggest as helpfull or best starter mods.

I will post on appropiate forum sites, any pointers would be great.

Nice to say hello. Jim.

Hi Jim, welcome to the A2oc.

Our members generally don't do 'PIMPED' but if you need help with repairs and sensible mods then I'm sure you will get loads of help and advice.

Here are a couple of suggestions to be going on with -

3. Stoke Audi, who advertise on here sell a floppy wiper kit but its around £80
4. Best place for a remap is Stealth Racing
5. Shoes and Laces?? tyres?

Cheers Spike

Hi Jim, welcome to the A2oc.

Our members generally don't do 'PIMPED'
:D It is simple and plain mods I am after :).. and just restoring the car to the lovely state it can.

Will source a new battery and then get him in at Stoke Audi for a starter... (Once I have sorted 5th to neutral pop).

thanks so much for the reply. :cool:

Shoes etc, I meant Brakes, discs and tyres.. :)

I'd be getting the gearbox examined for the popping out of 5th phenomenon, possibly a problem with the synchro?

What wheels and tyres do you have at the moment? What's your objective for tyres/ wheels - ie. are you after ultimate ride comfort, or ultimate looks with no consideration for the health of your spine?!

Brakes? Options for brake improvements are actually fairly limited. Do you have rear drum brakes (assuming you do)? You can try a higher friction pad set (eg. Ferodo DS) with some better brake fluid (eg. ATE Super Blue). Skipton has done a big brake upgrade at the front using some other Audi-sourced components (from a TT I thiink), but then he does have a re-mapped 90TDi putting out >120BHP!

Assuming you have a TDi 75, a remap from Stealth should see you good for 100BHP - although I wouldn't get a remap done until you've had the health of your gearbox confirmed...

Last edited:
hi Dan, yeah absolutley want to get gearbox sorted 1st, then service, new MOT, then windscreen wiper unit, then chipped, then tyres and brakes. I am all about the comfort to be honest, and the tyres (Toyo) are next to new they have just been sitting for about 4 months on the same spot. Let me know how you get on with 5th gear diagnosis..

Sorry I didn't mean to confuse - I'm not a gearbox mechanic, I was suggesting you should get the fault diagnosed, my hunch says failing synchro but it could be many things!

What size wheels have you got at the moment? If you're on 17s, or even 16s, comfort is easily gained by downsizing to 15s and oversizing the tyre sidewalls a little.

Let me know how you get on with 5th gear diagnosis..

...Assuming you have a TDi 75, a remap from Stealth should see you good for 100BHP - although I wouldn't get a remap done until you've had the health of your gearbox confirmed...

Stealth are also gearbox experts. So I would recommend leaving the car with Vince for a thorough going-over. Of course any gearbox work does usually involve quite a bit of labour since the disassembly/reassembly is time consuming.

I have my services, MOT & mods done at Stealth (despite the fact it's about 2 hours drive away from me).

I was about to suggest Vince at Stealth. Not only does he know his way around a gearbox, he's also the UK's finest A2 remapper. He's tuned more A2 TDIs than I've had hot dinners!
He knows the A2 inside out, so can also service the car for you and will almost certainly spot anything else in need of attention. Whilst I'm sure he would fit the later wiper arm for you, it's a job that anyone with a modicum of dexterity can do themselves. I'd just buy the bits from Audi and then do it yourself ...or add it to Vince's list!

Tom

Last edited:
For brakes I would enquire at GSF and ECP. ECP usually have a discount, though GSF are typically low to begin with.
Stick to buying known brand names like Mintex, Pagid, ATE

Back