car mirror 013 (Small).JPG
car mirror 016 (Small).JPG

Some photo's of the work, above ..... (1) The two types of mirrors
(2) The components for the modified mirror
(3) Internals of the modified mirror
(4) Modified mirror prior to fitment
(5) Internal view
(6) External view

I've successfully modified an Audi A4/B7 auto dimming mirror to fit the Audi A2. The big advantage of this is that it gives a much wider scope of mirrors from which to choose. There are two types of clamping methods to mount these mirrors onto Audi screens. Our A2's use a small boss glued to the screen. Inside the A2's mirror are two vertical parallel "claws"2/"jaws" which locate onto the boss. A quarter turn the secures the mirror to the boss. There is a further clamping method for other types of Audi mirror. The screen boss is of a larger diameter. The clamping ring inside those mirrors has three claws and therefore the designs are incompatible. However, those clamping rings ARE easily removable. In the case of the A2 mirror, you simply drill-out a central rivet. In the case of the other type, you unscrew it (two small screws). Now because the A4 type of mirror is of a larger diameter, the A2 clamping ring will fit internally into the end. It MAY have been possible to modify the A4 mirror by just fitting the A2 clamping ring, but I surmised that better location onto the A2's window boss would be achieved by using the complete end of the A2's mirror. I therefore cut off 1-11/2 cm of the redundant mirror and mounted this, together with the clamping ring, onto the stem of the A4's mirror. There is also the need to fabricate some black plastic plates to hide the clamping ring and stem's wiring when seen through the windscreen. Another advantage with modifying other mirror types is that it is possible to utilise the cover that carries/hides the wiring as it travels from the mirror to the headlining.
I've really enjoyed doing this. I do have the time and I like a challenge. However, I DID put a lot of time and effort into it .... and a lot of "head-scratching!". So this is what I want to say ..... If you've got the time, well, fine! go ahead because it CAN be done! There IS an alternative, though, and that's A2OC member "Deproman" ( Paul) who can offer you a mirror ready to fit at nominal cost! It's your choice!

David

Last edited:
Well done indeed David,
I can well understand that this is a challenge for those that are not very good at things like this and (me included, it would have ended up in the bin)
Thanks for sharing the photos and explanation.

Back