Auxillary heater

Taylor

Hi Folks

General ? Re heating.

I have a 2005 tdi 75. Today was -1 and it blows luke warm air almost instantly and the engine is stone cold. Is this what the electric auxiliary is capable of, or is it possibly fitted with something else.

Obviously not a complaint

Hi Folks

General ? Re heating.

I have a 2005 tdi 75. Today was -1 and it blows luke warm air almost instantly and the engine is stone cold. Is this what the electric auxiliary is capable of, or is it possibly fitted with something else.

I’ve never owned an A2 tdi with the electrical aux heater, mine have all had the webasto diesel power heater which is rated at 5.5kw in full power and 2.5kw in half power
My understanding of the electric heater is that it is rated at 1.5kw but will kick in within a few seconds of engine start as long as certain criteria are met. Min engine speed, minimum voltage, air temp less than 6deg C engine coolant temp no greater than 80deg C

The first thing is to check out all of the above are being met AND the sensors are telling the truth
Next check is the coding of the engine ecu this must be 00002
If it it set to 00005 then the aux heater will most likely be inoperative (this is very late breaking news about a week old)
There is a much more detailed thread at 130+ threads long on this topic. Well worth skim reading it as mostly applies to the webasto but the electrical heater gets a mention in a few places

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Folks

General ? Re heating.

Your understanding is correct as depronman says, there are criteria to be met but essentially below 6degC you should have warm air blown into the cabin. I understand that the Webasto not only warms the cabin but also the engine coolant hence helping the engine get to temperature . The electric heater does not do this (hence the vastly different power output).

Geoff

I think you are pointing to electric heating element inside car to heat up internal air flowing thru vents (I do have tdi90 which is fitted with this) also to speed up windscreen defrost, some of tdi75 were equipped with webasto coolant heater too which helps engine to warm up quicker and provide warm air in to cabin (webasto only turns on within conditions met - mentioned above)

I’ve never owned an A2 tdi with the electrical aux heater, mine have all had the webasto diesel power heater which is rated at 5.5kw in full power and 2.5kw in half power
My understanding of the electric heater is that it is rated at 1.5kw but will kick in within a few seconds of engine start as long as certain criteria are met. Min engine speed, minimum voltage, air temp less than 6deg C engine coolant temp no greater than 80deg C

The first thing is to check out all of the above are being met AND the sensors are telling the truth
If it it set to 00005 then the aux heater will most likely be inoperative (this is very late breaking news about a week old)
There is a much more detailed thread at 130+ threads long on this topic. Well worth skim reading it as mostly applies to the webasto but the electrical heater gets a mention in a few places

Paul

Thank you all; it's great little addition on the

Paul

Thank you Paul. It's a great little thing and after reading so much over how bad these are on cold mornings without the Webasto, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised 😊 . Thanks for all the information. Mark

I think you are pointing to electric heating element inside car to heat up internal air flowing thru vents (I do have tdi90 which is fitted with this) also to speed up windscreen defrost, some of tdi75 were equipped with webasto coolant heater too which helps engine to warm up quicker and provide warm air in to cabin (webasto only turns on within conditions met - mentioned above)
Thank you. Pleasantly surprised how effective it actually is.
Mark

The electrical heater is certainly effective at cabin heating likely better than the webasto in the first few mins of operation
The webasto then wins as it gets the cabin toast warm and also gets the engine up to temp and therefore onto more economical fuelling maps quicker thereby compensation for the diesel used buy the webasto

Let’s face facts, the reason Audi discontinued the webasto was two fold
1 cost - the electrical heater plus a larger alternator was significantly cheaper than fitting the webasto unit
2 omissions - the tdi A2’s where about to change from euro 3 (AMF engine) to euro 4 (BHC and ATL engines) the webasto would not be euro 4 compliant
The change form AMF to BHC was staggered over a few months the factory fitting either a AMF or BHC engine as to what was available, the webasto phase out was done in summer shut down 2002 likely when the AMF to BHC swap over was also planned, but they ended up using the AMF until around the end of 2002
I’m convinced that the electrical heater was only planned to be used with the euro4 engines but reality kicked in and the plan went to rat s**t for a few months, hence we have a some late 2002 cars with electrical heaters and AMF engines

My personal vote is for the webasto but if I could have my cake and eat it I’d have both as they both have advantages

Paul

The electrical heater is certainly effective at cabin heating likely better than the webasto in the first few mins of operation
The webasto then wins as it gets the cabin toast warm and also gets the engine up to temp and therefore onto more economical fuelling maps quicker thereby compensation for the diesel used buy the webasto

Let’s face facts, the reason Audi discontinued the webasto was two fold
1 cost - the electrical heater plus a larger alternator was significantly cheaper than fitting the webasto unit
2 omissions - the tdi A2’s where about to change from euro 3 (AMF engine) to euro 4 (BHC and ATL engines) the webasto would not be euro 4 compliant
The change form AMF to BHC was staggered over a few months the factory fitting either a AMF or BHC engine as to what was available, the webasto phase out was done in summer shut down 2002 likely when the AMF to BHC swap over was also planned, but they ended up using the AMF until around the end of 2002
I’m convinced that the electrical heater was only planned to be used with the euro4 engines but reality kicked in and the plan went to rat s**t for a few months, hence we have a some late 2002 cars with electrical heaters and AMF engines

My personal vote is for the webasto but if I could have my cake and eat it I’d have both as they both have advantages

Paul

I wonder if anyone will consider fitting an electrical heater to a webasto equipped car? It looks like the dash has to come out on our silver tdi as the matrix is blocked, so when it’s out I may look at getting an electric heater in there and putting it on a 10 minute timer To give instant heat

I wonder if anyone will consider fitting an electrical heater to a webasto equipped car? It looks like the dash has to come out on our silver tdi as the matrix is blocked, so when it’s out I may look at getting an electric heater in there and putting it on a 10 minute timer To give instant heat

Defo a job to do with the dash out
Don’t tempt me as the dash was out to fit a double din a few years ago. Not wanting to do that job again

Paul

All the tdi’s have either the webasto or electric heater
As the change over was aug 2002 all tdi90’s have electric heater
Most AMF are webasto and all bhc and atl electric, very late amf are electric

All the tdi’s have either the webasto or electric heater
As the change over was aug 2002 all tdi90’s have electric heater
Most AMF are webasto and all bhc and atl electric, very late amf are electric

Thank you, then I have non-working electric heaters in my 90s !

"ECON off" is also on the list of requirements for the PTC electric heater to operate. so if @George Hogg always has his "ECON on" that might be why he thinks they are all broken!

I wish there was some kind of indicator that lit up when the PTC heater was operating. I'd just like the info/re-assurance that it's doing what it should. Alas, other than providing a bit of heat when you are not expecting it or looking with VCDS I don't think there is any other way to tell when it's on.

"ECON off" is also on the list of requirements for the PTC electric heater to operate. so if @George Hogg always has his "ECON on" that might be why he thinks they are all broken!

I wish there was some kind of indicator that lit up when the PTC heater was operating. I'd just like the info/re-assurance that it's doing what it should. Alas, other than providing a bit of heat when you are not expecting it or looking with VCDS I don't think there is any other way to tell when it's on.
Easy enough to add a 12 volts indicator, across the heater element supply.
Mac.

I’m not sure at all why you’ve written that about ECON on. But it’s neither helpful or respectful.
I have a few A2s one AMF the webasto works fine, one BHC the electric heater works fine. One BHC no electric heater 2 90s no electric heater.
Fortunately in discussion with Depronman he had given me what I believe is the answer. It looks like it’s map related.

Sorry George the ECON button is important. Not only does it turn off climate it will inhibit the PTC heater. On manual heater cars the econ button was also fitted just the later cars the icon and button functionally discontinued.

Here is a later manual heater
1701988324323.jpeg

and an earlier one with the ECON button marked
1701988434969.jpeg

Probably in line with the phased out Webastos.

Back