AVS servicing ??

Pugliese

A2OC Donor
Well I thought I had a reasonale understanding of how the AVS servicing worked but it has now got me confused.:confused:

05/09 45k miles - Full AVS service
11/09 52k miles - Car purchased - 16500 miles till next AVS service
12/09 53k miles - Oil checked, on min, topped up with 350ml approx of long life oil
01/10 55kmiles - 24,500 miles till next AVS service????

Can anyone explain this? Is it possible that I reset it in error, although I read on here that it can only be reset via Vagcom.

It's because you've done some longer mileage trips recently - the car likes this and so increases the interval.

As you rightly say, it is not possible to reset the service indicator to Longlife unless you have VCDS.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike thanks for the prompt response.

Nice to know that about the long trips but the maths to my mind does not add up. I have done 10k miles since the last service. My understanding that when the AVS timing schedule is resest, i.e. on the day it is serviced the display shows 30,000 miles, so surely the max it should show now is 20,000 miles to the next service???

Either way I plan to change the oil and filter after 12 months irrespective of the AVS service indicator, but will use long life oil. Apart from this is there anything else that needs sorting before the next AVS? Cambelt, water pump, brake fluid all done.

Actually, when reset to LongLife, the display will read 9300 miles for a while, until the car works out how you're driving it.

I always recommend that the oil is changed annually, regardless of what the service regime is - if you're doing mega miles, maybe even more frequent intervals.

Cheers,

Mike

Either way I plan to change the oil and filter after 12 months irrespective of the AVS service indicator, but will use long life oil. Apart from this is there anything else that needs sorting before the next AVS? Cambelt, water pump, brake fluid all done.

I think cambelts are due at 60k. A quick forum search will clarify, as I believe Audi changed their recommended intervals not so long ago.

Does anyone know the price of "Standard" Audi Oil compared to the longlife Oil?

I only do around 6K a year, so thought I might go onto the annual service which uses standard oil, supposedly. If I were to use longlife, Audi say it be should be changed every 2 years, in my case 12k.

If there is a massive difference in cost between the oils, then maybe I'm better off changing standard oil every 6k, rather than longlife every 12k.

Or, if the cost of oils is similar, and i'm guessing longlife is better oil? then I may as well get longlife put it.

Thanks

I'm not sure what Audi charge for oil but when I compared the prices of Castrol (it was called Longlife oil) at Halfords a few years ago, there was only £4 difference for a 4 Litre can. I use VW spec 507.00 Castrol Edge 5w30 now, which Audi specify for both std and longlife services and change it every year.

Cheers Spike

Audi don't sell an oil that is not LongLife capable.

As Spike says though, price differences are around a pound a litre, so stick with the best stuff and change regularly. If you plan on keeping your car, it's false economy to scrimp on oil.

Cheers,

Mike

So do Audi use the same oil for annual service's as longlife services? Is it just the software that they reset differently?

Now you're asking!! Dealerships use oil from huge containers and I don't know what's in them.

To be fair, I doubt they use rubbish stuff, but doubt that they use the LongLife oil in standard servicing.

Cheers,

Mike

Actually, when reset to LongLife, the display will read 9300 miles for a while, until the car works out how you're driving it.

I always recommend that the oil is changed annually, regardless of what the service regime is - if you're doing mega miles, maybe even more frequent intervals.

Cheers,

Mike

It seems to depend. Immediately after the last two long life services the display read 50000 kms.

Back