Back in the family - FSI this time.

Hi all,

A big thanks to @PlasticMac @Ami @Malcyb and others for the help so far.

Here she is.

Needs bits and bobs. Will need more help. Need to get some good (but affordable) diagnostic equipment.

James

1714861580557.png

I have a small hand held Audi diagnostic tool that dont use, you can have for £10 plus postage if you like.

I know there are some good hand held scanners BUT still recommend an old laptop with a USB port and VCDS as the results obtained are very much ideal for diagnosing and repairing faults. Usual caveat as the A2 is early in terms of computer diagnostics not everything can be diagnosed nor have codes.

I know there are some good hand held scanners BUT still recommend an old laptop with a USB port and VCDS as the results obtained are very much ideal for diagnosing and repairing faults. Usual caveat as the A2 is early in terms of computer diagnostics not everything can be diagnosed nor have codes.
I agree.
For VCDS Lite be a really useful troubleshooting tool, access to measuring blocks is essential, so there's the $99 registration to add on.
Still good value, when you consider the cost of replacing just one sensor that turns out not to be duff.
Mac.

Ill probably end up doing this. What exactly do I need?

Just a tip that worked out for me - have a look on eBay / Facebook marketplace /other 2nd hand sites. I picked up an old mini pc with vagcom installed on it and the cable for €20 last year.

I think It’s the classic sort of thing people find I a drawer after selling a car, and sell it on chrap rather than binning it.

Have your head screwed on as always of course when dealing with people on these sites 😉

Cheers,

Stuart

Ill probably end up doing this. What exactly do I need?
Any Windows laptop, any OS from XP on. When you register Lite, it's to one pc, so choose one that will last a while. You're allowed one change only. The change doesn't invalidate the first pc.
You need a lead. Ebay KKL leads work, but getting the correct driver can be a challenge. I have a couple of ebay leads, and they are fine. Only install the software that's downloaded from Ross-Tech, never from a CD, regardless of it's source. Ebay KKL leads are under a tenner. The alternative is to buy from Gendan, a bit, more expensive, (£19. 94), but because the chip, (that does the USB to Serial conversion), is genuine, drivers are not a problem.
The most important thing is to install the driver first, and do a restart before plugging the cable in for the first time.
This is because, if you plug the cable in first, the pc will allocate the standard USB driver, which does not work, and then you'll have to remove the device, (the driver), and start again.
And,of course, the A2OC FSI label file.
Mac.

Because VCDS Lite is limited to pre 2005/06 VAG vehicles, it does not support the BAD/FSI engine.
The official "full fat" version also did not, until late last year, support the FSI engine either.
A2OC members, with a bit of unofficial help from Ross-Tech, rectified this ommission, and Ross-Tech have added the appropriate label file to the full fat version too. Ross-Tech's policy is not to update Lite, but A2OC has a suitable file that can be easily added to an existing Lite installion, and which is a bit more user friendly.
Without the FSI specific label file, an engine scan is misleading at best.
Mac.

Because VCDS Lite is limited to pre 2005/06 VAG vehicles, it does not support the BAD/FSI engine.
The official "full fat" version also did not, until late last year, support the FSI engine either.
A2OC members, with a bit of unofficial help from Ross-Tech, rectified this ommission, and Ross-Tech have added the appropriate label file to the full fat versioton too. Ross-Tech's policy is not to update Lite, but A2OC has a suitable file that can be easily added to an existing Lite installion, and which is a bit more user friendly.
Without the FSI specific label file, an engine scan is misleading at best.
Mac.

Back