Bass Buzz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

philhusbands

Hi everyone,

I have the Audi standard Concert II front-loader CD player. I'm more than happy with it, but I have just one query...

Sometimes I do like to crank the volume up, but when I do some bassier tracks do give rise to some buzz in a couple of interior door trim panels. Specifically, the front passenger door buzzes (it stops if I reach across and push the armrest into the door) and the rear offside door pocket buzzes.

I'd like to think that I could simply tighten up the screws/fixings that hold the door trim in place and this would solve the problem. However experience tells me that it probably wont be that simple!

Has anyone had, and solved a similiar problem who can give me some tips?

Cheers!

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

I've had this in previous cars I've owned and you're correct in saying that tightening up the trim screws does not always fix the problem.
To stop this natural frequecy you either need to add mass to the trim or increase its stiffness. I've found that wedging some stiff foam inbetween the door trim and inner panel often helps.

I agree. But no car is ever perfect, so this resonance may well hop over to some other panel at some other frequency. However, there's also a chance that this frequency is lower than what your speakers can produce, hence: it solves your problem.

<little joke>
You could also force some diagonal wooden beams inbetween your passenger seat and the door trim, to permanently push it into the door for good! ;)
</little joke>

You know where to find the trim removal topics on this forum by now, don't you Phil? :)

Edo

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. Thoughts regarding stuffing foam in places had ran through my mind, but I have to say that I get a tad nervous when it comes to removing trim and stuff. For example, if I get the trim off and add mass with some foam, is it going to get in the way of the electric windows etc...?

I'm a pansy I know! I havent looked at the trim removal topics yet Edo, I'll have a read of them! In the meantime I'll get some myself some wooden battens!! ;)

I suspect the door has an inner and outer panel, where the window and mechanism fits inbetween these two parts. The door trim then attaches onto the door inner panel. So as long as the foam fits inbetween the trim and inner panel there should be no interfance with the window.

Your suspicion is correct Will. For pictures, have search in the audio forum for 'trim removal' or something similar.

Behind the door trim is another metal panel. The trim is not even and does not touch all of this panel, this allows for all sorts of vibration patterns to be created.

Depending on how determined you are to get rid of it, then this is what I have done.

Totally remove the trim, add sound deadening material to the reverse side [I covered every square inch of mine]. Remove or tilt forward the inner metal panel, add sound deadening material to both sides.

You now have access, all be it limited, to the outer door skin, add more sound deadening to this as well.

Put it all back together, screw it down tight and your problem will go.
I have for good measure added sound deadening sheets to the entire trunk area, tailgate and the interior floor space.

This makes a huge difference to outside sound levels and road noise and in my case reduces outside noise by as much as 6dB.

Good luck.

Thanks EF MAX, I think the effort sounds worth it. Can you suggest a suitable deadening material? I know you can buy rolls of stuff to do the job from Halfords and the like, but I'm sure those in the know could suggest a cheaper alternative?

Yep, go to any PARTCO or Brown brothers and ask for their sound deadening pads. comes in a box of 10 sheets and each sheet is 200mm by 500mm.

get a sheet, roll it up, put it in the microwave for 30 secs. take it out, peel of the backing and apply to a nice clean grease free surface, mould it in by hand and Bob's your uncle.

Do as much as you feel or can see or touch.

If you have aa problem, then I can order it on account at my local shop, normally charge £25 per box but often will give a discount down to £20 and if I buy enough sometimes better than that.

It is heavy, 3.5kg per box and Parcel Force charge £5 per box for postage..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back