Battery Charging Procedure Audi A6 Avant ?

66Beetle

A2OC Donor
Can anyone tell me the Correct Battery Charging Procedure for 2017 Audi A6 Avant please ? I had Charged it no problem before using an Aldi Smart Charger connected to the Terminals Under the Bonnet. Last time I tried it the Wires(s) from the Charger to the " Crocodile Clips " just melted as soon as I started ! Would it have been that there was some heavy demand on the Battery at the time e.g. Automatic Headlamps still On ?

Steve U

Can anyone tell me the Correct Battery Charging Procedure for 2017 Audi A6 Avant please ?
Afternoon,

I have a 2012 A6 C7 Avant. As you know the battery below the luggage space floor and not always practical to have the battery charger in there.

There is a good source to do this though under the bonnet on the offside. The 12v live terminal has a cover on it and the negative terminal is uncovered. These are the 2 points that I connect the battery charger to when putting it on trickle charge.

I’ll try to get pictures to you later but believe there to be a drawing of this in the user hand book.

Kind regards,

Tom

Can anyone tell me the Correct Battery Charging Procedure for 2017 Audi A6 Avant please ? I had Charged it no problem before using an Aldi Smart Charger connected to the Terminals Under the Bonnet. Last time I tried it the Wires(s) from the Charger to the " Crocodile Clips " just melted as soon as I started ! Would it have been that there was some heavy demand on the Battery at the time e.g. Automatic Headlamps still On ?

Steve U
I wouldn't think that the Aldi charger could supply sufficient current to melt the insulation. That sort of current would, IMO, come from the battery to the charger, and would require a short circuit in the charger itself. So my guess is faulty charger.
Mac.

I had Charged it no problem before using an Aldi Smart Charger connected to the Terminals Under the Bonnet. Last time I tried it the Wires(s) from the Charger to the " Crocodile Clips " just melted as soon as I started ! Would it have been that there was some heavy demand on the Battery at the time e.g. Automatic Headlamps still On ?

Steve U
Hi Steve,

I notice you added more to the first post after I answered so disregard my comments as you’ve already done this. I’ll. it add a picture as it’s no longer relevant.

I leave my battery charger on there for a days at a time to keep the battery in top condition when not using the vehicle that much and never had an issue with clips or wires becoming hot. I’ve also never started the vehicle whilst the optimiser was still connected though.

A stronger battery charger should be just fine if left connected under the bonnet. If you close the bonnet lid then please do endure there is enough airflow around the charger otherwise you could have a potential fire hazard.

Kind regards,

Tom

I wouldn't think that the Aldi charger could supply sufficient current to melt the insulation. That sort of current would, IMO, come from the battery to the charger, and would require a short circuit in the charger itself. So my guess is faulty charger.
Mac.
I`ll just have to try a New Charger and hope it doesn`t melt as well.

Steve U

I`ll just have to try a New Charger and hope it doesn`t melt as well.

Steve U
I'd also look very closely at the point the charger output wires exit the unit, if you can take it apart, you may be able to replace the cables.
The current needed to melt the insulation is high, and be surprised if it is the circuit, more likely a short where they start.
Mac.

I could understand the cables melting if you perhaps tried to start the car while on the charger as some prohibit this or the battery has had it.

Make sure EVERYTHING is turned off on the car before connecting a charger. Charge the battery, disconnect the starter and then turn the key.

I’m with Mac on this one
There is no way an Aldi trickle charger could provide enough current to melt wires. I’d say 5amp max from the charger and that might to enough to warm the charger wires over an hour or so but not melt anything. You would be looking at 40p plus to melt wiring (dependent on gauge of wire and what it’s made off in terms of resistance)
Far more likely the charger (either faulty circuit board or wires shorting together somewhere) is the culprit. You connecting the charger effectively but a dead short across the extended battery terminals that would provide well in excess of 500amps (most likely near 800amp) which is more than capable of melting a jump lead never mind an Aldi charger cable

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I just binned the Charger with the Melted Wires. I have another 3 or so Aldi Smart Chargers. Can`t resist buying a new one when they are on the Shelves.

The Battery on this 2017 (67) A6 Avant 2.0 TDI Ultra 190 was Replaced under the Audi New Car Warranty. I complained that either it had a Lazy Starter Motor, or dodgy Battery. Audi Dealer initially said there was no Fault. Next time they decided the Battery was Faulty and fitted a New one. That must have been 4 or 5 years ago. It still always sounds the same like it`s not going to Start / it has either a Lazy Starter Motor, or dodgy Battery.

Steve U

Back