Battery life? .

Dave M

Admin Team
United-Kingdom
Does anyone know how long a good conditioned battery will hold its charge. I will be going on a fairly long extended holiday soon and would like to keep the alarm system in operation and the doors locked.

Hi dave ours have survived just over three weeks with no problems--that was with original battery's from 2003 & 2004.

It depends on the drain and the rating of your battery, as well as its condition. In most cases the key-off drain should be around 10-20 mA, and something like 30 mA (it’s quite a lot) would deplete a fully charged 70 amp battery in perfect condition in around three to four weeks.

Keep in mind that starting does require quite a bit of current, so depleting the battery by around 50% can result in a no-start.

As a belt and braces approach, in such circumstances I use a good quality steering wheel lock. I know on my return ithe car will almost certainly be where I left it.

Andy

A good battery will give about 3-4 weeks as long as the alarm isn't going off. As PH A2 said a solar charger is very usefull in extending the battery. I have seen ones that croc clip onto the battery directly and also some that work through the ciggy lighter socket ( sorry phone charger, satnav, ipad, dashcam, speed camera detector socket ). When you return I would jump start the car.

Another option would be to lock the car with the boot open and then disconnect and take out the battery and close the boot. The car is fully locked and cannot be driven. Take out the fuel pump fuse for good measure. Keep the battery somewhere else and it will still be charged when you get back. Unlock the car using the key blade and open the boot from the inside to reconnect the battery.
Ok, the alarm won't be on, but the car is immobile unless someone is well prepared.

Andrew

Back