battery warning light flicker

toby1

I have a very intermittant battery warning light flicker. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable pattern for this. At first I thought it was over bumps but this is not the case. It does it hot or cold, but sometimes not at all. I will try to check the battery cables in case one is loose, and perhaps the alternator belt. I do not have any screeching noise as though the belt is loose, however.
Any thoughts out there? The car has never had a flat battery and hasn't missed a beat but it is annoying now I've seen it. I notice it when it does flicker which is a bit off-putting.

Hi toby1

There has been a few similar problems reported by members in the past (see link) but no one has come up with an answer. If you have access to a multimeter, check the voltage at the battery terminals first with the engine switched off then run it at idle and gently increase the revs. You should see approx 12.5V stationary, 13V at idle and 14.5V from about 2000 rpm. For me, results within 0.5V would indicate a well charged battery and good alternator / voltage regulator

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=633&highlight=battery+warning+light

Cheers Spike

Thanks for that Spike. I did a search in the forums but came up with nothing. Perhaps the age of the posts was why. Anyway, interesting to see a couple of other FSis and a diesel amongst them.
I've checked the leads and they're secure, and I have no slipping belt. Oddly enough today there was no flicker at all. I'll monitor.

I had the battery light flickering thing happen to me at the beginning of the year - around February/March time. Got it booked into the stealers under warranty and they tweaked something. The weather improved and it didn't do it again.

Last week it was cold and damp and lo, the light of flickeriness returned. So, duly dispatched to Audi (different, more local stealer), they have now come up with a modified regulator which should solve the problem.

The price? About £120... Hopefully it's covered by the Approved Used warranty.

I have an issue with the battery warning light coming on. I've installed four main beam auxiliary lights, each at 55W making a total of 220W.

Here installed on my previous petrol A2:
http://www.a2oc.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=614&c=15&userid=2304

Now, in my TDI, (never happened to the petrol A2) when I turn the main beam on, the battery warning light sometimes, not every time, comes on and then goes off again after what seems like half a second or less.

I've now disconnected two of the four lights and the battery warning light no longer comes on. I really want the other two lights also, but I'm worried the electrical system could be damaged since the warning light comes on. Any suggestions?

Good news - the work will be covered by the Audi warranty (as you'd expect) and she's going 'under the spanner' in a few week's time. Can't do it earlier because I need a courtesy car and work commitments mean I can only get her booked in at the beginning of a week...

But hey, we'll see.

Back