BBY intermittent misfire

Hey all, hoping there’s some wisdom out there that can help with an issue that’s come up recently.

I was driving last week, and felt the engine start to shudder and the engine light came on. Felt like it was running on just 3 cylinders so I headed home, broke out the VCDS Lite and saw that I was getting a report of a misfire on Cylinder 2.
I checked the coil on 2 and it looked a bit old so I replaced it. This seemed to work, the errors cleared fine and I thought it was all good.
Having recently added an earth to get the wiper going again I thought that would be it.

I’ve not had a chance to drive her before today. When I started her up and was waiting for last night frost to melt, I got the engine warning lite again and the feeling of it running rough on 3 cylinders. So I broke out the VCDS again and this time it reported misfire on Cylinder 4.
I removed and visually checked the coil and checked the connections.

I could replace that coil too but I think this might be indicative of a larger issue.
What are your thoughts and experiences that might help point me in the right direction?

Rob

Intermittent electrical issues can be a mare...

I would clean, check and probably replace the main engine earth. The one below the left headlight.

Have you checked the spark plugs? Have they been replaced with genuine plugs? Are the coil packs genuine? Non genuine parts can and do cause issues.

When I first got my 1.4 in 2018, I had two coilpacks fail in the space of 300 miles. This prompted me to carry two spares in the boot! I have since done thousands of miles and no further coilpack trouble - YET...

When I first got my 1.4 in 2018, I had two coilpacks fail in the space of 300 miles. This prompted me to carry two spares in the boot! I have since done thousands of miles and no further coilpack trouble - YET...
Fair point!
I’ve had at least one go in the past so it’s maybe not unlikely that a 17 year old part might fail.

Intermittent electrical issues can be a mare...

I would clean, check and probably replace the main engine earth. The one below the left headlight.

Have you checked the spark plugs? Have they been replaced with genuine plugs? Are the coil packs genuine? Non genuine parts can and do cause issues.
I’ll check the earth, thanks good call.
The plugs.. I don’t know, not changed them myself in the last few years so I guess I really should.
Coil packs are genuine except the one I changed which is a Bosch.

Hey all, hoping there’s some wisdom out there that can help with an issue that’s come up recently.

I was driving last week, and felt the engine start to shudder and the engine light came on. Felt like it was running on just 3 cylinders so I headed home, broke out the VCDS Lite and saw that I was getting a report of a misfire on Cylinder 2.
I checked the coil on 2 and it looked a bit old so I replaced it. This seemed to work, the errors cleared fine and I thought it was all good.
Having recently added an earth to get the wiper going again I thought that would be it.

I’ve not had a chance to drive her before today. When I started her up and was waiting for last night frost to melt, I got the engine warning lite again and the feeling of it running rough on 3 cylinders. So I broke out the VCDS again and this time it reported misfire on Cylinder 4.
I removed and visually checked the coil and checked the connections.

I could replace that coil too but I think this might be indicative of a larger issue.
What are your thoughts and experiences that might help point me in the right direction?

Rob
When you stop to think about it
they were all fitted at the same time originally, in the interests of trouble free motoring change the whole set & avoid a failure at the worst time or place.
The same could be said of bulbs once you start to get failures it’s worth swapping out for new ones.

Checked the earth and that's all good so changed the remaining three coils, the one reporting the misfire was by the far the oldest and in the worst condition.
Ran VCDS and did a test drive and all is good again!
Keeping the other two replaced coil as hot spares as they are in decent condition.

Thanks everyone!

Back