bearing tool required please

roc-a-rhol

A2OC Donor
Wales
as per the title, alfie has developed a funny metallic rolling noise.

for background, this noise has only been the last 3/4 weeks or so.
the inner cv boot was replaced in september which of course meant the driveshaft needed removing. no issues with refitting. no noise immediately after that.
the discs and pads were replaced in july but again, a long time ago to be making noises

i initially suspected the wheels needed realigning so this was carried out but still no difference.

to rule out tyres / wheels iv swapped the rears to the front but still no difference.

when jacked up iv wiggled the wheels to check for play in the bearing but 12/6 position is solid and 9/3 position wobbles a smidge at the front but figured that's due to the steering.
the back wheels have no play.

the noise gets louder with speed but is not directly related to the accelerator; from about 6/7 seconds in to the clip im in neutral. you can hear an almost metallic wop wop wop noise getting louder then quietening whilst breaking.

there's a slight vibration through the pedals but no judder through the steering wheel.

im a bit lost for quick things to check before removing the undertray and checking the drive shaft again.

any suggestions or "ive had this before and it was this..." ideas?

cheers
drew

that sounds a bit like when the outer CV joint boot had split and gradually disintegrated on my project car after Christmas - it gradually deteriorated on the way home and finally detached completely near to Hamilton on the M74, whereupon the speed-dependent vibration stopped. New driveshaft fitted thereafter solved the issue.

that sounds a bit like when the outer CV joint boot had split and gradually disintegrated on my project car after Christmas - it gradually deteriorated on the way home and finally detached completely near to Hamilton on the M74, whereupon the speed-dependent vibration stopped. New driveshaft fitted thereafter solved the issue.
interesting. so was the outer joint knackered or was the crumbling boot causing the noise?

interesting. so was the outer joint knackered or was the crumbling boot causing the noise?
both! Car was on 290,odd thousand miles and I had no evidence that there had been a recent replacement of driveshafts despite a detailed maintenance history. The CV boot was the main issue with a partially split V in the concertina section part stretching off centre with rotational forces making it whop rotationally against the suspension arm (as far as I could tell) but the joint itself was properly b****red as well probably due to loss of the packed grease once the boot failed some time before. Once the boot fell off I got home the last 90 miles at speed - actual heat from the knackered CV joint could be felt passed through into the alloy after I got back (despite this being the first week of January and it was subzero all the way) - and then got the driveshafts replaced with a brand new J&R set.

both! Car was on 290,odd thousand miles and I had no evidence that there had been a recent replacement of driveshafts despite a detailed maintenance history. The CV boot was the main issue with a partially split V in the concertina section part stretching off centre with rotational forces making it whop rotationally against the suspension arm (as far as I could tell) but the joint itself was properly b****red as well probably due to loss of the packed grease once the boot failed some time before. Once the boot fell off I got home the last 90 miles at speed - actual heat from the knackered CV joint could be felt passed through into the alloy after I got back (despite this being the first week of January and it was subzero all the way) - and then got the driveshafts replaced with a brand new J&R set.
to clarify - the whopping once up to 50mph or above was due to a circumferential split in the CV joint boot (3rd or 4th row towards the broader end of the conical boot) - meaning that the larger diameter end of the boot cone was spinning out at a larger diameter than the rest of the boot and making contact every rotation with something in the vicinity. Keeping speed to around 50mph meant it didn't happen for several hundred miles, but then it clearly deteriorated structurally on the M74 heading back north and fell off by Hamilton, so I was able to head home rather faster without the imbalanced lump of rubber and fitted a new driveshaft thereafter.

You could feel the gap in the boot by parking up with the steering on one lock or the other, and feeling the boot ridges manually around its periphery from in front of the wheel on each side. One of them very obviously had a gap in the ridge and fell off completely about 1,000 miles later.

to clarify - the whopping once up to 50mph or above was due to a circumferential split in the CV joint boot (3rd or 4th row towards the broader end of the conical boot) - meaning that the larger diameter end of the boot cone was spinning out at a larger diameter than the rest of the boot and making contact every rotation with something in the vicinity. Keeping speed to around 50mph meant it didn't happen for several hundred miles, but then it clearly deteriorated structurally on the M74 heading back north and fell off by Hamilton, so I was able to head home rather faster without the imbalanced lump of rubber and fitted a new driveshaft thereafter.

You could feel the gap in the boot by parking up with the steering on one lock or the other, and feeling the boot ridges manually around its periphery from in front of the wheel on each side. One of them very obviously had a gap in the ridge and fell off completely about 1,000 miles later.
appreciate it, thank you. ill give the boot a check over and report back.
i do hope it's something quite innocuous!

update, the noise is still there but ive ticked the following off the list...

- checked the inner and outer boots
- swapped back wheels for front to rule out tyres / buckles
- removed the brake pads to rule out rubbing / warped discs

still perplexed so guessing it must either be a bearing or the driveshaft as it appears to be coming from the drivers side which is the side that was worked on.

watch this space!

*update*

it's the bearings 😒

so, does anyone in the newport / bristol / trowbridge area have a bearing tool i could borrow in exchange for beer / wine / cash?

thanks
drew

Back