Beeping from direction of the boot she won't start..........

Marius

Changed the brake light switch yesterday and got the brakes back. Noticed this morning that the centre brake light was out and the remote locking was playing up and she won't start. Whilst trying to get her to start got a beeping noise from the boot.

Any ideas? :confused:

When you changed the brake switch, did you check that it wasn't in a stuck on position? I mean if the brake if it was incorrectly fitted it could have left the brake lights permanently on, or if it took you long to fit and the brake lights had been on a for long length of time, therefore flattened your battery, hence why she won't start?
Just speculation from here :)

The beeping noise is your alarm unit which is located in the boot.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
When you changed the brake switch, did you check that it wasn't in a stuck on position? I mean if the brake if it was incorrectly fitted it could have left the brake lights permanently on, or if it took you long to fit and the brake lights had been on a for long length of time, therefore flattened your battery, hence why she won't start?
Just speculation from here :)

The beeping noise is your alarm unit which is located in the boot.

Cheers
Sarge

Thnx for that Sarge786. We'd have noticed last night if the brake lights were 'stuck' on as they would have illuminted my fence on the drive. Is it possible to fit the brake light switch in the 'on' postion? Wouldn't it self-adjust once fitted? Strange thing is I'm getting lights but no radio.

I found it was quite fiddly to fit the brake light switch - it took several goes before it was working correctly.

Does the engine crank over at the usual speed? a lot slower, or not at all?

We'll whatever the reason I suggest you charge the cars battery and see how it goes from there.

Cheers
Sarge

Does the engine crank over at the usual speed? a lot slower, or not at all?

We'll whatever the reason I suggest you charge the cars battery and see how it goes from there.

Cheers
Sarge

Took your advice Sarge786 and jumped the battery. It WAS flat. :eek:. Alternator and battery were also checked and were fine. Also, had a VAGCOM that came back with all clear. It picked up the brake light switch on first scan and on re-set nothing was found. Still unsure why the battery went at 3.08 this morning though. Could be a faulty brake light switch replacement that is somehow draing the charge. Your hypothesis, Sarge, about the doors being open for a bit could also be the culprit. It's the not knowing bit that bugs me.

Great, job Done then :)

It's likely that in these cold and dark days, your battery was a little low, then while doing the switch you had doors open for a long while with your interior lights running (possibly stereo on while your working?) all this lead to the battery becoming flat, hence surely suspect was the battery :)

I'd give it a good overnight charge to give it a boost, which I always do every couple of weeks during winter weather.

Also check the levels as people don't realise that these battery's aren't maintenance free and under the stickers on the top of the battery is plastic screws like on most batteries, open them and check levels, if necessary top up with 'distilled water'.

I had an A4 other day and I checked the level and no kidding it drank just under 1.5 litres of distilled water, it was bone dry, no wonder it was dying.

Cheers
Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Back