Best conrods to buy for 1.4 petrol?

This bare engine i'm hopefully getting comes without conrods.Can anyone help in advising who made the originals, it would nice to know to go direct to them rather than pay silly Audi Prices. I'll also need to buy the bearings gudgeon pins and shells for these, what make would you engine guys out there recommend? I'm guessing the originals are best? Is there an upgrade? Any help welcome.Thanks in advance Mark.

Con rods don’t exactly wear ( the shells/bearings do but you are using new ones.
Is it an option to buy a used engine and utilise the expensive but unworn components? The complete engine would cost less than 4 conrods.
Steve B

I don't want a used engine Steve, too many unknowns and dishonest mileage claims on ebay as we have already found out. I just fancy a nice new engine with the reliability and personal satisfaction that affords. Ive now sourced one from Scimmyowner and i've never had one before ever so will be nice as this little A2 is a keeper. I'll also be able to incorporate the updated modified Audi oil control rings that's if this engine doesn't already have them installed.

I was not suggesting using a used engine.
But the con rods are parts that do not wear and it could be said that used conrods could be better than new. Any cracks or weak spots would have already caused problems.

But I do know what you mean, having peace of mind that everything is brand new does give you a nice feeling.

Steve B

I was not suggesting using a used engine.
But the con rods are parts that do not wear and it could be said that used conrods could be better than new. Any cracks or weak spots would have already caused problems.

But I do know what you mean, having peace of mind that everything is brand new does give you a nice feeling.

Steve B
Good point, thanks for reminding me, your right used will be better for the reasons you outlined .I Just need new shells. Only problem is i want to build this at leisure while the car is still on the road.

Good point, thanks for reminding me, your right used will be better for the reasons you outlined .I Just need new shells. Only problem is i want to build this at leisure while the car is still on the road.
That was why I suggested buying a secondhand engine, so you could do it at your leisure and you will also have a source for some of the minor parts should any be missing or broken on yours (just the parts that don't suffer from wear.

It would also help you see what goes where etc. But I realise that it might take up ore space and time.

Steve B

Back