Information Best thing to do...

Rich01924

We are saying goodbye to our family’s beloved A2 as we need a 4x4 given the weather where we live...

So they’ll take in part-ex but scrap her given she’s not the tidiest (but low mileage etc)...and I fear webuyanycar and others would do the same etc

Ridiculous as it sounds we’re keen to ensure she continues - so should I whack on eBay or Autotrader and hope someone comes? Or are there any other routes to find her a loving home...

Thanks in advance
R

Not ridiculous at all Rich, I'm sure someone on here will help keep her on the road. Post some specs in the MarketPlace and someone will hopefully sort this out.

My A2 even with crossclimate summer snow tyres was amazing in the snow, passed stuck 4x4s on summer tyres. I now put winter tyres on pepperpots on when it gets cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm currently halfway up Norway, at about the same latitude as the southern tip of Iceland. In the UK right now, it probably feels like autumn, but here it's already as wintery as the UK ever gets. I have hired a 1-litre Peugeot 107 with winter tyres. Crossing a high plateau a few days ago, after fresh snowfall, my lightweight little buggy performed very well indeed. Meanwhile, 4x4s by various manufacturers fitted with standard tyres were waiting to be pulled out of roadside ditches.
A family in a BMW X-something-or-other looked surprised as I drove a course around the truck that had arrived to rescue them. I think the idea that anyone in the UK needs a 4x4 due to the weather is deeply flawed. A heavy vehicle will require lots of traction to gain any momentum. To move around in winter conditions, winter tyres are what's needed, whatever you're driving.

Cheers,

Tom

I think the lightness of the a2 is a massive help in snow

I should imagine so, and that's also working in @timmus' favour in his hired 107.

A few years ago I encountered snow for the first time in my Volvo C70 - all 1.75 tons of it, on 235/45 summer tyres. While I was surprised how far it got through virgin snow, on anything more compacted it didn't stand much of a chance. While I was gingerly rolling back down a medium incline and trying not to slide into parked cars with the camber of the road, a 1990's Fiat Punto of about half the Volvo's weight came up the hill like it was a dry road. I bet that wasn't on winter tyres either as there's not much call for them in the south-east.

Thanks for all the advice and perspectives...I’d love to keep her....

I suspect the 4x4 for winter is my other half’s way of telling me she’d like a 4x4 full stop :)

However by the sounds of it, regardless of what we pick we’ll be investing in winter tyres!

Thanks again

Hi
I fit my winter tyres around November until March. I know some people would say it is unnecessary but I was glad I did at the beginning of this year, during the "Beast from the East" period. Furthermore, I have less chance of skidding off the road when it rains a lot.
I have tried :
- Michelin Alpin 195/45/16
- Nokian WR D4 195/45/16
They are very similar but the Nokian is a bit cheaper.
Cheers

I tend to fit my winter wheels late October and run them until March /April (Central Scotland). I've always been impressed with them Fulda Kristall Montero 3, 185/60R15. As already noted, I often pass stranded 4wd vehicles as 4wd with summer tyres are no match for 2wd with winter tyres. While I agree with the sentiment that we don't need winter tyres I've yet to need my seat belt though I don't travel without it. :)

I have a close friend in the motor industry (used to be a senior figure in Land Rover in the BMW days), and when I asked him for a recommendation for an effective 4x4 for a wintry Cumbria, expecting him to say Disco or Freelander, his first response was Fiat Panda 4x4. Light, agile, cheap to run, reliable. Evidence for its effectiveness is all over the mountainous areas of France, Switzerland and Austria. They're everywhere.

I suspect the 4x4 for winter is my other half’s way of telling me she’d like a 4x4 full stop :)

Reading between the lines, I strongly suspected that desire was the driving force for the change, not need.
What is it about a 4x4 that attracts her? The extra height? The extra interior space? What is it about the A2 that she finds unsatisfactory?

Cheers,

Tom

I had a 1981 Range Rover that was amazing in the snow... but also drove an A2 in the snow and it was fabulous... never even got close to being stuck anywhere even when everyone else on the road was...

also had a Volvo XC70 which was a joy to drive but couldn't come near the A2 fuel economy...

Du
I have a close friend in the motor industry (used to be a senior figure in Land Rover in the BMW days), and when I asked him for a recommendation for an effective 4x4 for a wintry Cumbria, expecting him to say Disco or Freelander, his first response was Fiat Panda 4x4. Light, agile, cheap to run, reliable. Evidence for its effectiveness is all over the mountainous areas of France, Switzerland and Austria. They're everywhere.
Funnily enough we’ve been looking at that or the Suzuki Vitara - both seem to meet the brief of lightweight and practical

Reading between the lines, I strongly suspected that desire was the driving force for the change, not need.
What is it about a 4x4 that attracts her? The extra height? The extra interior space? What is it about the A2 that she finds unsatisfactory?

Cheers,

Tom
Think part of it is the space (we have 3 boys and they’re getting bigger and it’s a bit of a squeeze now...together with the fact she has a new, longer commute and therefore is more dependent on the car than before

Ignis. Fun on four wheels :) and a SX4 is also pretty fun when you turn the ESP off... with the excellent - seriously, they are excellent - LED headlamps.

I had both on a test drive last winter. SX4: Auto box, sheet ice. Slithered to a stop. Brake. D. Accelerator. Zero slip, just acceleration. Very impressive. That was a 2017 1.0 Boosterjet. Also tried to ruffle a Vitara and failed, also on sheet ice. Pretty damned good, especially if you understand how to get yourself out of trouble - whereas the A2 tends not to get into much trouble anyway.

- Bret

Back