Beware - changing wheel and tyre sizes....

valveman

There seems to be a lot of members on this forum who have changed wheels sizes and tyres sizes for a number of reasons, no less that making the ride better if your A2 Sport is running 17” wheels. My A2 sport suffers the same harsh ride, all be it has been great improved with the fitment of a new set of tyres.

Anyway I just thought I would mention this and to remind anyone who has changed their wheel or tyres sizes to contact their insurance company to let them know about the changes, as it could mean the difference between you being insured or not. Some insurance companies will nullify your insurance if they find any changes have been made from the standard manufacturers specification and tyres and wheel sizes are easy to spot.

Best to check because if you are involved in an accident you don’t want to the insurance company to walk away from your claim. Insurance companies are looking for the smallest of reasons not to pay out on a claims these days.

As they say "its better to be safe than sorry"

I have heard of insurance companies charging extra premiums for drivers fitting winter tyres...... which has to be bonkers from a safety aspect and when in some countries insurance and the law requires a car to be 'adequately prepared for the weather'. In other words if you had a winter accident and DIDn't have winter tyres you would be held partially responsible even if it was the other parties fault.... If your car has a wheel and tyre combination that is covered in the handbook and the sticker usually found in the fuel flap I would like to think Insurers' would struggle to pursue it in court because your car is equipped in accordance with the manufacturers spec.

Back