Big Alloys

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fraserd

I want to upgrade my alloys from the 6 spoke SE ones i have at the moment, does any one know the max size i can goto (width and rim size) with out any rubbing on the arches etc? I Know the sport has 205/40/17 , does this have lowered suspension?

Many thanks, Fraser.

You can use 17"-Wheels with lowered suspension, but I don´t think you can go very higher... Some members of the german forum have the "Parabol"-Style TT-Alloys on their A2´s but I don´t think they are 18"...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

Fraser,
The Sport does have lowered suspension albeit 10mm.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Cool, does any one know about the max width can you go higer than 205mm wide?

no i think 205 is your max tyre width any wider you will be interfering with the steering geometry and the castor and camber of the wheels
Also i know you will wear the track rod ends out and the bearings will wear out quicker since the design spec of the bearings are related to the max tyre size going to be put on the car.
I know all the above since i did it on my vw polo and it caused more problems than they are worth.

sorry to be miserable but you may as well know the facts before shelling out lots of money for new alloys and tyres.

cheers [16][21]

A.D.Simmons

You might be able to use 195/55R15 tyres on 6" rims from the Polo Sport. These wheels look stronger than the A2's, and will give a better ride due to the higher sidewalls.

Sidewall of a 205/40 tyre is 205 x 40% = 82mm
Sidewall of a 195/55 tyre is 195 x 55% = 107.25mm

So the sidewall of a 195/55 tyre is 30.8% higher than the sidewall of a 205/40 tyre. Big and bouncy is best.

[24]

AMD claim to have a set of eighteens that fit the A2 but they never got back to me with the offset so i can`t recommend alternative 18`s

At the moment I have 17's with 215/40/17.
They have done 12600 miles and were put on from delivery. No noticible issues yet.
I am thinking of going to 18's and I might look at 215/35/18 when I do, but this is still a maybe at this stage.

Hmm, EF MAX can you post some pics of your car with the 215 wheels? Or are they already in the gallery?
I'm specially interested in pics taken from the front or back of the car, just want to see how wide they are compared to the 195 & 205 17s

--
Bigshow

I noticed that the recommended size for 16" are
185/50 R16
195/45 R16

However the 205/45 R16 is the size that has the lowest error of all, compared with my current wheel size (175/60 R15).

Why Audi recommends the 195/45 instead of 205/45???
Is it because the SE wheel does not allow 205 tires???

Speed doesn't kill... sudden deacceleration does!
small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI
See it > http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/europe26.htm

175/60R15, 185/50R16, and 205/45R16 all have virtually the same outside diameter. Calculated diameters are 591mm, 591.4mm, and 590.9mm respectively. In practice they will vary a little anyway, due to manufacturing tolerances.

The SE wheel is 6" wide and the 205/45R16 needs at least a 6.5" rim. The 185/50R16 and 195/45R16 sizes are both ok on a 6" rim.

Hi will install the 195/45 R16 on a Montereal II wheel (it's 6.5 ").
The Montereal II is a VW wheel from the GOLF IV.
I will try to polish the wheel to create an aluminium look.

928556.jpg

small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI

The 6.5" rim is a good match for the 195/45R16 tyre.

What ET number does the Montereal II wheel have stamped on the back? It might be 35 like the SE wheel.

P.S. I think your wheels look like aluminium already. [8D]

EF,
Could you please tell us what is that black material you use to isolate the foot well?

This will reduce the engine noise inside the car?

(sorry for this off-topic question...but noise redution is a very important issue for me)

Cheers,
A2day

small1.jpg
Audi A2 1.4 TDI

So the ideal eighteen would be A 7.5 x 18 then as the 8 inch wide may be a little to wide, wrapped in a 215 35 18 elastic band, Am i right in thinking ?

quote:Originally posted by A2day

EF,
Could you please tell us what is that black material you use to isolate the foot well?

This will reduce the engine noise inside the car?

I have the same stuff in my car, mainly in the doors and some remaining piece in the footwell.

I don't know its English name, but in Dutch it is called 'loodbitumen'.
Freely translated it come down to something like 'heavy (lead), thick, inert material resembling the stuff that you can burn/melt onto a flat roof, but specifically meant for audio-applications'. It has a self-adhesive back and is quite easily shaped when heated up slightly. It's not actually lead, by the way. More like tar and fibres.

I bought mine in a DIY hifi/audio/speaker shop. It was cheapest there.

It costs, if I'm not mistaken, about 15 euros for a 50x100cm piece. That piece weighs about 3,75kg.

It does help remove resonance, by bracing flat and floppy surfaces. The (left over) piece in my footwell removed some roadnoise. Even more and it would be even better.

I can't seem to find a good picture of 'loodbitumen' right now. Perhaps you can just go to a car parts and/or hifi store to ask for what I just described.

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp) and on its merry way to Germany, ABT, to be chiptuned, finally!

215/35R18 on a 7.5" rim is ideal.

ETRTO (The European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) recommends a rim between 7" and 8.5" for this size tyre.

The usual size to go for is the one in the middle of ETRTO's recommended range, or where there isn't a middle because it doesn't fall on a multiple of 0.5", the one below this. eg. The theoretical middle of 7" and 8.5" is 7.75", so it is usual to go for 7.5".

just need to find a design to my liking then and get the angle grinder out to attack the arches with!!!

Stopped of at elite tonight on the way home the car is going in for a fitting next week all being good it will be wearing some new rims by next weekend!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back