Bigger brakes, new FSD's and 2 new horn.

A

AMG

Hi everyone! Just want to express my best wishes to everyone for 2010. Did some work on the wife's A2 during the holidays. Replaced the rotors all around with the pads, replaced the shocks with FSD's and added a second horn/beeper as well. Since I was to replace the rotors, I decided a while back to modify the front braking system and went for a moderate 288mm rotor with 57 calipers from an Audi A4. Of course, had to replace the housing too. They came from a totaled Skoda RS with less than 2000 miles. Well, It took me a while to do (5 days) and it wasn't as straight forward as it seems. Lots of infos was received from Skipton01 and others on the German forum but had to find some "ways" the hard way!. Well it is done and am testing the car today. Took it to work and will again tomorrow before I return it to the wife. Still runing in the pads but it does brake with more significance. I will post a how to later on. If you have questions in the meantime, I will try to answer them the best I can. Lots of work but well worth it (for now!!!!).
Ltr, Didier

Interesting! What pads did you go for?
I bottled out of a full front brake upgrade in the end and have just ordered some new Brembo discs (stock size), Ferodo DS pads and ATE Super Blue fluid, plus some new OE shoes for the rear drums- will be installing in a few weeks time before the MOT is due.

The FSDs make a big difference. Did you change the springs/bumpstops as well when you did it?

How straightforward was replacing the horn with a 2-tone? Where did you get the second horn from?

Hi dan_b. Will try to answer in the order of the questions.
Pads: Front were standard ATE pads.
Back were Ferodo Premium.
I replaced the brake fluid with fresh ATE Super Blue.
Suspension: I did not replace the springs as they were in good shape and were from the original S-line sport suspension.
Bumpstops were replaced as well as the plastic cover/protection at the 4 corners.
Horns: The job is rather straightforward BUT removing the inner wheel arches, the bottom plate, the lights (to get access to the small plastic clips!!!) and than removing the bumper skin without damaging the electric lines from the fog lights is a PAIN!!!!:eek: That's if you're alone. + the bumper does NOT come straight out. NO no no, that would be tOOoooo easy. Need to pry the sides away from the wheel arch first....after removing the 4 screws (Torx 25) inside the wheel arch:D! But the rest is easy:p. Basic electricien skills. Original is one (1) horn. After you have 2 horns. Same as the one listed in the message above. Great sound. Got them from the bay as well. Cheap and quite good quality. Obviously fakes but OK.

Ltr, Didier

Interesting! What pads did you go for?
I bottled out of a full front brake upgrade in the end and have just ordered some new Brembo discs (stock size), Ferodo DS pads and ATE Super Blue fluid, plus some new OE shoes for the rear drums- will be installing in a few weeks time before the MOT is due.

The FSDs make a big difference. Did you change the springs/bumpstops as well when you did it?

How straightforward was replacing the horn with a 2-tone? Where did you get the second horn from?

Glad to see another ATE Super user! Next time you should use ATE Super Gold :)

I think I'll give the horn swap a miss then!

Is it possible to easily access the horn electric feed and locate a new horn elsewhere to avoid all that dismantling....?

Horns

Hi. The electrical feed is easy to get to if you remove the right hand side light. Locating the new horns under the hood should be possible but do not know for sure. Check inside the engine compartment to see if you have the space available.
Ltr, Didier

It may be possible when removing the grill between the foglights... ?
Indeed, I removed recently the right headlamp and I could clearly see the horn there under.

there is enough space in front of the alt for a set of bosch triples. You need some skillz to do it, but it's possible. Attach the compressor to the old mounting point and then the horns diagonally across the space.

I have around 117 deeBeez :D

Bret

Hi,

Going back to front discs (mine are up for changing!) where did you get the brembos from and how much do they cost?

Im needing new front discs + pads probably so i am after suggestions for an upgrade!

thanks in advance

I got the Brembo discs from Ebay - paid £65 or there abouts.
I got the Ferodo DS pads from Europerformance.co.uk.
I got the ATE Super Blue and the Mintex rear shoes also from Ebay...

Thanks DanB,

In another post i have searched Skipton has said that the Brembos are just standard discs and nothing worth noting about them... Have you found an improvement with the setup?
How much would a mid-range brake upgrade cost ?

Hi Ive not fitted any parts yet but will let you know. I chose Brembo as a brand I would trust with my life rather than buying an unknown copy part from ebay.

Back