Biopetrol

humps

A2OC Donor
Just saw some articles about bioethanol/bio petrol - specifically the Koenigsegg CCXR crashed during a topgear shoot. I'm wondering if the A2's petrol engines can run on these?

Without modifications only a mix of petrol / ethanol can be used where the percentages of each fuel are unknown. However, the car is not designed for a 100% ethanol fuel.

Yes its fine as its only 5-10% of the mix, there are rumours of a 20p/litre cut in duty on "bio-petrol" once its rolled out across the country. I can't buy it around Reading but its for sale in Tescos in the North (5% ethanol). Not sure what the octance rating is, cars run better on ethanol (more power) but less efficiently (less mpg). When I used to go racing my friend looked after a Type 35 Bugatti, that used to run on 100% methanol, smell great but carcinogenic fumes, and runs great but cracks the valve seats as its runs so hot.

There is a fairly big discussion on this on the TT forum currnelty.

Apparently Tesco 99ROn super which is available around me is 5% bio-ethanol.

This reminds me of the argument against "low energy" lightbulbs - they are anything but good for the environment - and biopetrol is another so-called improvement that in fact is just as harmful. It just keeps people with SUVs happy as they think they're doing their bit for the planet.

Back