BNV 1.4tdi engine from a Skoda Fabia- fit an A2?

Pompeydave

A2OC Donor
Hi all, the A2 has pushed over the 200k mark, and the top end is getting very tired, particularly on startup. I've got a low mileage BNV 1.4tdi engine from a Skoda Fabia- will it fit the A2, mine has the AMF engine?

Also, I was led to believe that it's 90 BHP, but all references on the net seem to indicate 80. Can anyone clarify this, and what I could reasonably expect HP wise from a Stealth remap?

Thnaks in advance.

I haven't got an answer for you sorry Dave but perhaps there's more info out there on whether someone has fitted it to the polo 9n as more of those are modified than A2's. looking forward to seeing this develop if it is possible. I've read posts you've done in the past about your A2 when researching Monroe dampers and it looks a great car.

Last edited:
Ok, cheers Steve. I had the option of buying another car, but have come this far with the A2 I don't want to let it go! What I'm thinking of doing is mating the BNV engine to an EXB box from a Seat Arosa. Apparently it has very similar ratios to a A2 tdi 90. If all goes well, I'll then get the engine Stealthed. It'll be interesting to see if Vince can get anything more out of an 80 over the 75?

The aircon is also kaput with multiple faults, and I now have all the parts, radiator, control module, pipes etc to do this job at the same time hopefully. Gonna try to do it all myself. Looks relatively straghtforward once the front end is off. I'll post updates, but it won't be for a while due to other projects taking precedence, mainly Lambretta related.

The big unknown with modern day engine swaps is compatibility of the engine electronics.
It's possible the BNV engine has a variable geometry turbo, electronic thermostat and electronic EGR valve - with a different engine ECU to match. There may also be different sensors and different connector / wiring for the ECU multi pin interface.
On the mechanical side, manifolds and mountings for the alternator and aircon compressor may not be interchangeable.
Sitting the new and old engines side by side will quickly show the differences and if the transplant has potential.

In the good old days of Fast Car magazine Tim Stiles racing used to transplant all types of performance engines into VAG cars. Not sure if they still do this but they are still trading and could be worth a phone call - http://tsr-performance.com/

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike. I've emailed them and will update this thread if I get a response. I think it should be ok as the block and head are common across the range of engines. It might just be a case of bolting all the AMF stuff onto the BNV lump?

It might just be a case of bolting all the AMF stuff onto the BNV lump?

That's a possibility but I don't know if the two 'short' engines are identical. May be worth checking through the parts catalogues to see what's common. For example it would not surprise me if they had lowered the compression ratio and increased turbo boost to optimise emissions. (this is pure speculation)

Cheers Spike

Back