Chat "Bobbing" wind noise when windows open

wiffers

My wife's A2 doesn't have aircon, so we cool ourselves retro style my opening the windows.

However, unlike most cars, when you get to about 50 the pressure seems to resonate and make a bobbing sound and you feel it in your ears.

A solution seems to be opening rear Windows, but having a tiny baby in the back not ideal, plus annoying to hand to wind down rears every time (they're manual).

Is the a remedy for this??

Cheers

My wife's A2 doesn't have aircon, so we cool ourselves retro style my opening the windows.

However, unlike most cars, when you get to about 50 the pressure seems to resonate and make a bobbing sound and you feel it in your ears.

A solution seems to be opening rear Windows, but having a tiny baby in the back not ideal, plus annoying to hand to wind down rears every time (they're manual).

Is the a remedy for this??

Cheers

You could try the perspex wind deflectors that a few have fitted on here.

I had exactly the same problem when driving my grandsons TDI today.

I managed to reduce it by altering the height of the windows on each side, but it is tricky to resolve other than, as you say opening the rear window (but you don't have to open it more than an inch normally?

Steve B

Does an open sunroof cure the buffering?

There are window tints/films available to reduce heat but I have no experience of these.

With broken aircon and no rear electric windows, I feel your pain. I have 'cured' the problem by focusing my attention on the terrible ride instead.

"Bobbing" wind noise when windows open

The window socks that pull over the top of the door may help & have the benefit of screening the rear seat occupants from the sun & wasps/flies etc
Or even the fitted window blinds from the likes of van shades.

Just some other options
Keith.

Last edited:

There are window tints/films available to reduce heat but I have no experience of these.

With broken aircon and no rear electric windows, I feel your pain. I have 'cured' the problem by focusing my attention on the terrible ride instead.

If you have a sunroof, you will get buffering if that is open but all windows closed.

It is not a problem unique to A2s, many cars have the same issue.

Getting the balance right is normally easy enough with a little trial and error.

As for the ride. an A2 with the suspension and shockers in good condition will never give you a "Terrible" ride. Yes they have a firm ride but I actually like the firm ride. If yours is a teribble ride then are your shockers and ARB bushes etc all in good condition?

My wife (not into cars) is very happy with the ride on her A2 and she has 17s on it and I am very happy with the ride on mine and I have 19s. Yes a firm ride, but that does have advantages too!

Steve B

I'll try the rears just an inch tmr, if not I'll get those perspex things, but they look awful :(

Cheers:)

I think some people have had success by cracking open one front and a diagonally opposite rear window so it's worth experimenting.

Cheers Spike

Ha ha!!!

No sunroof either.
I'd just drive my car instead, good ride and aircon, but the wife wants to drive hers goddammit

I have a theory that this is affected by tyres and tyre pressure. Mine is much less prone to the drumming since I last changed tyres. I don't see how tyres could affect the basic resonance of the cabin but maybe the point (road-speed) at which it starts off can change?
Groot

The "heko" wind deflectors work really well. They also help in wet weather with that other anoiance of water from the wiper coming in if you have the window open slightly on a warm wet day. I think they look good. Cheers Mike

The "heko" wind deflectors work really well. They also help in wet weather with that other anoiance of water from the wiper coming in if you have the window open slightly on a warm wet day. I think they look good. Cheers Mike
I'll second that

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

I had this problem, and I found that turning on the in car fans on the cool setting helped alot, i put it down to being well built.

Back