Body Kit & Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MunkStar

Hi this will probably be a self explanatory stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway.
This is the quote from my insurance company; they don’t insure modded cars you see, so they ask.

"Any modifications to the vehicle - anything which is not fitted as standard or is not available as an optional extra"

Would I be correct in saying I could add the Audi body kit to my car, and not invalidate my insurance because its available as a factory extra - hence I couldn’t add Zwo Styling kit though.

If so, does anyone no if it can be purchased for a retro fit? Or is it priced German so expensive and pointless in doing?

Cheers guys.
John

A2 Sport, Dolphin Grey, Bose, Red leather, Climate, Open Sky.

My insurance company don't care about cosmetic modifications at it all would seem, they are only interested if I have modified the engine or brakes etc. I think that they would be bothered if I'd changed my badges to say '2.0 supercharged' or something but hey which car thief is going to believe that anyway?!

I would say judging by the description you have given above from the insurance company, you would be safe to fit the Audi kit, but I would recommend that you ring and check with them before buying it. I would imagine that the kit aftermarket is going to set you back quite a bit, and I think that there maybe a problem fitting it with front fogs? Looking at the front of mine it doesn't look like they have naturally left a panel for the front fogs to go through? So I'd phone Audi for a chat, or better still drive down to your dealer and ask them.

The kit completely changes the A2, and very much for the better. To be honest if I hadn't seen it with the kit on I wouldn't own one now!

Good luck, let me know how much the kit is, as I have it but don't actually know how much it was?!

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control | Custom Badges

I have just been having the discussion with my insurers and the Body kits takes my insurance from £298 to £402 which is quite a hike - the wheels make no difference whatso ever, that hike is for cosmetic changes only.

You have the Zwo bodykit though and a modified exhaust, if you had the Audi factory fitted kit this may not be the case. It also depends on your insurance company, as previous companies have asked me about cosmetic changes, but I informed 'More Than' (current policy) that my car had the Audi kit on and they said 'we aren't bothered about cosmetic changes, only modifications to the engine and mechanical parts', so my kit doesn't effect my premium at all regardless of whether it's factory fitted or third party. Having said that my insurance is due for renewel in the next month or two, so if I have to move companies it will be interesting to see which companies are bothered about the kit and which aren't.

Again, I would strongly advise that you firstly talk to your insurance company and ask them questions, and then talk to Audi before you go ahead with anything.

Silver TDI Sport | 17 inch TT alloys | Audi bodykit | CD | Climate control | Custom Badges

Any chance you could send me pic of your car with your body kit?
In the mean time i shall give my insurance company a ring.....

A2 Sport, Dolphin Grey, Bose, Red leather, Climate, Open Sky.

Shao Khan's A2 photo's are mentioned and linked to through this forum (somewhere) with the Zwo kit on. I'll try to take some photo's of mine with the Audi kit on tonight if I can as I need to do that at some point anyway, and I keep telling other people in the forum I'll put them up but haven't as yet. It will also illustrate my custom badges, as I wasn't happy with the Audi rear badges.

I'll try my best to take them after work tonight for you, I'll upload them and let you know the url as soon as they are live.

I'd advise you to inform your insurance company about anything that is not standard spec; be that body styling, exhaust, wheels etc......

My friend has just had a rear end shunt in his Vauxhall Tigra, apparently it had a non standard exhaust back box, it looked like an Irmischer one (square end piece), which is an official Vauxhall dealer accessory. After ooing and aaahing the insurance company have said they will replace it but with a standard spec item.

He is not that bothered as it came with the car when he bought it but I know I'd be gutted if I'd have bought a sports exhaust, bodykit or wheels and that happened to me.

The moral I suppose is let your insurance company know and make sure they acknowledge it in writing,irrespective of whether they care or not because you can bet when it comes to pay out time they will care.

Regards,
Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

there are link to my car - you can see some pictures in the Audi Galleries on tyresmoke.

As I have said previously the Audi kit looks smart as well (there is a silver A2 with the Audi kit also in the above galleries). I think as said aboev the ProjektZwo kit does cost more because although fitted by Audi dealer it is not Audi part and therefore after market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back